Poly Pro Stink...weird question

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
fishinxj
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Poly Pro Stink...weird question

Post by fishinxj »

Weird question?

Anyone know what makes some poly pro clothing brands stink and hold odors while other brand don't?
I own a twelve yeard old pair of poly pro thermals made by Eddie Bauer that have been torn, patched, and abused beyond belief. Why keep them, they don't stink after a days use!!

My Terramar itch, my REI thermals reek after ten minutes of sweat. The smell won't wash out of my Fila shirts but my Reebok poly pro shirts dont hold odors. Bought some expensive North Face shirts and took them back and Columbia shirts...forget about it.

There has to be something to the equation. Yeah it"s hot living in the Southern Sierras but stinking and being hot sucks. Hence the weird question!

Oh yeah bring on the jokes :D
thanks
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Poly Pro Stink...weird question

Post by AlmostThere »

My solution to this is to slowly transition to light merino shirts - no way to deal with ongoing synthetic stench once it sets in. Special soaks or soaps are only a temporary fix...

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Agreed. Merino wool is the answer. And you've got to slowly transition, as AT says unless you're wealthy.
fishinxj
Topix Novice

Post by fishinxj »

Not wealthy, but could be if somehow I could solve this million dollar question and make my own clothing line!

shane
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

I have some luck adding vinegar to the laundry. Reduces the smell but not completely eliminated.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=