Trip Report - High Sierra Trail (July 8th -15th)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mshields
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Report - High Sierra Trail (July 8th -15th)

Post by mshields »

orbitor wrote:mshields,
Great, this is very useful info, thank you so much!
Any other advice/insight welcome.
Orbitor,

My replies to your inquiries

- I can't give you a take on the Bearpaw backpackers camp, as I walked right by it; it is located on a short spur trail (to the right) just before entering Bearpaw High Sierra Camp. As far as a "luxury backcountry resort" I wouldn't quite go that far; it is a simple camp with tent cabins, pit toilet, dining, horse stable etc. It is very similar to the High Sierra Camps in the Yosemite backcountry if you have ever been to any of those. The view of the Great Western Divide from this spot is awesome; we sat on the porch for about 30 minutes and soaked in the view. An additional score was the kitchen cook who set us up with a stack of blueberry pancakes left over after the morning breakfast. :yummy: As a reminder this area is seperate from the backpackers camp. Perhaps another Topix member could provide you info about this site?

Sierra South is correct, there is a bear box at Buck Creek. There were bear boxes at all my campsites except for Guitar Lake and Outpost.

Crescent Meadow to Upper Hamilton Lake could be possibility if you picked up the permit the prior day and got a very early start, but I don't know the logistics of this. I do know it would be a long 17 miles and at least speaking for myself, you probably wouldn't enjoy the scenery as much.

We had Kern Hot Springs all to ourselves. As a side note, the entire time we were in the Kern River Valley we didn't see a single person other than a few trail crew workers. Perhaps this is out of the norm? Either way there are ample sites at Kern Hot Springs. There is an upper and lower camp; combined they could probably host at least 20 people. In my opinion looking back it is worth a shot with or without the crowd. :thumbsup:

Enjoy, it is a great trail ! What struck me the most was how diverse the scenery was; a complete west to east snapshot of the Sierra's Happy Trails...
orbitor
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by orbitor »

I plan on picking up our permit the day before, yes, which is why I was considering getting an early start on "official" Day 1 and pushing all the way to Upper Hamilton Lake. I do expect it to be a long grind and we may miss out on many little things as we try to cover that distance, but saving a day might be worth it (I'm on a relatively inflexible 7-day schedule and would like to see if I can work out a plan that fits).

To recap, there are bear boxes at: Buck Creek, Upper Hamilton Lake, Moraine Lake, Kern Hot Springs, Wallace Creek - right? I also know there are boxes at Bearpaw Meadow and Crabtree Meadow.

Absolutely stopping at Kern Hot Springs. I'm already looking forward to the soaking. :)

Thanks again for all the insights!
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

orbitor wrote:
To recap, there are bear boxes at: Buck Creek, Upper Hamilton Lake, Moraine Lake, Kern Hot Springs, Wallace Creek - right? I also know there are boxes at Bearpaw Meadow and Crabtree Meadow.

Thanks again for all the insights!
Yes, bear boxes at Buck Creek(1), Upper Hamilton Lake(3), Moraine Lake(1), Kern Hot Springs(2), and Wallace Creek(1).

If you get a chance post a trip report when you get back; I would love to hear how it went.
AvFan
Topix Novice

Post by AvFan »

I did the HST in 2010 with my son and again in 2011 but solo. I'd avoid the Bearpaw Meadow backpacker's camp; the sites are poor and close together. Buck Creek is a better option IMO. If I left Crescent Meadow around noon I'd make my first camp at Mehrten Creek and day 2 at Hamilton Lake. An early morning climb from Hamilton to Kaweah Gap is much more pleasant than in the afternoon sun. Moraine Lake has some nice sites and is worth the long day from Hamilton. I've also camped at the creek (not the often dry pond at the crest) just after topping out the climb from Arroyo Junction. I'm in full agreement with several others that folks should stay at the Kern Hot Springs. That soak is amazing on tired muscles. I've stayed a Junction Meadow twice and wasn't all that happy both times but I wanted to do the climb up Wallace Creek in the morning. It was a full day but Junction Meadow to Guitar Lake is not that bad. Lastly, I'd leave Guitar no later than 4am in order to catch the sunrise on top of Whitney and guarantee I'd get to the Portal Store before it closed. Enjoy!
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

AvFan - I appreciate the info! Perhaps you'd know this, I keep calling SEKI to confirm but not really getting anywhere: according to their website, there is a bear box at the Big Arroyo Junction, supposedly near the ranger station. Is this true?
Also, in your opinion, is Hamilton Lake from Crescent Meadow doable with a very early start?
Finally, did you carry a bear canister on the two occasions you completed the HST?

mshields - I'll do a write-up after returning.

Thanks all!
AvFan
Topix Novice

Post by AvFan »

Orbitor:

I didn't see a bear box at Arroyo Junction last year but Climber.org shows there is one a bit south of the old patrol cabin. I'd trust one is there but hopefully someone can chime in who has actually seen it.

Boy, Crescent Meadow to upper Hamilton Lake is a about 16 miles and there is a pretty steep climb the last two miles. For me (54 years young in pretty good shape) I wouldn't go that far on the first day. Keep in mind the next day is a 2500' climb to Kaweah Gap, a 1000' climb out of Big Arroyo and a total of 14 miles to Moraine Lake. If you are used to big miles and elevation gains than its right up your alley.

On my first trip I saw folks who always camped where there was a bear box (except Guitar Lake). I hate the weight of a canister but I like the flexibility and peace of mind it gives me should I want or need to camp at other than an established site so I carried one on both trips.

Lastly, the following three tips should help you:
1. There is a very nice place to take a break after you cross Big Arroyo Creek. It is park-like.
2. Fill up on water at the Big Arroyo Cabin. Water will be spotty for the next few miles and it is quite warm should you hike out of the Big Arroyo in the afternoon.
3. Fill up on water at the creek just south of the HST junction with the trail in the Kern River gorge. There is a hot boulder field and swampy area on your way to Kern Hot Springs and the extra water is helpful.

I don't want to take all the adventure out of your trip, but I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have. Enjoy and I look forward to your TR!
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

AvFan -

Finally got through to a ranger today who confirmed there is a bear box at Arroyo Junction. Information about where these are located is important to me as I'm thinking of going without a canister. mshields helped out by confirming the locations of the others, so now it's just a matter of deciding how many miles to hike on each day.

The reason why I'm looking to do Crescent Meadow to Hamilton Lake in one day is because I really want to climb Mt. Kaweah on day 3, and having to do the 14 miles to Moraine Lake the same day will be too much even for me. Yes, I'm used to long days with big elevation gains, but I don't want to totally exhaust myself halfway through the trip. So I'm thinking to break up the Hamilton-Moraine section in two by staying at Arroyo Junction 1 night, climbing Kaweah en route to Moraine the following day.

Please provide any other insights you think would help. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll have plenty of adventure to deal with, so I'd rather be prepared for anything!
AvFan
Topix Novice

Post by AvFan »

Sounds like a fun side trip to Mt. Kaweah. I don't know your route up Kaweah but camping at the creek just past where the trail tops out coming out of Big Arroyo might be an option for you if you carry a canister. In 2010 we met a scout troop that took an extra day and hiked up Eagle Scout Peak from the Big Arroyo side so peak bagging (besides Whitney) can certainly be part of a HST trip. You should have a lot of the trail to yourself in mid-September in particular along the Kern; last year just before Labor Day I had the hot springs all to myself. Lastly, if you are staying at Arroyo Junction take your time coming down from Kaweah Gap. That portion of the trail along Arroyo Creek is really nice. Enjoy!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

I recognize that hut!

Great pictures and great report. I'm jealous.