Galapagos Islands, Ecuador

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Galapagos Islands, Ecuador

Post by copeg »

My wife and I have been touring Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands for the last few weeks. Simply amazing!!! I cannot describe how much we enjoyed this trip. We traveled through the Islands by boat, visiting pretty much an Island a day - and each island had something new to show us. I have put together a small sampling of some photos, many not even close the best I got, but being I have literally thousands of photos, it'll be some time before I find the best and collect them into a presentable form.

Here is a link to a page with 12 photos:
Galapagos

This selection of photos doesn't even come CLOSE to the diversity of wildlife we saw on these island, much of which is endemic: given time constraints I didn't include many of the photos of the species of sea turtles, herons, finches, mockingbirds, all sorts of sea birds, lizards, insects...

Each of these photos has a story to tell, but for brevity's sake I'll spare the details of every photo. I've embedded here some of the better one's:

------------------------------------

Sunrise in our 'Panga' on the final day of our tour. Literally on cue, as soon as the sun starting showing itself, all the birds around started feeding and diving.

Speeking of feeding, this sea lion put on a remarkable show - trying to kill and eat this small shark. I've got about 100 photos of this happening right before our eyes. This is just one of the many.

And of course, what is a trip to the Galapagos without a picture of an Iguana. This is a Marine Iguanas that swims out into the ocean to feed.

This is the 'famous' view from the top of Bartolome Island. In the bay on the left, we stood on the beach and watched an innumerable number of sharks swim a few feet from shore.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Wow - amazing pictures trailblazer. What a wonderful trip.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thank you wingding. It was indeed a remarkable trip! Completely different than anything I've done in my life. Its gonna take some time to go through the some odd 4000 photos I took ;)
Buck Forester
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Buck Forester »

Whoa, duuude! INCREDIBLE! That shark one is very unique, you need give that one some exposure to the big boys!
ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

Amazing images. What a wonderful adventure!
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Great photos. Makes me want to go.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thank you Buck, Inge, and Tom!
That shark one is very unique, you need give that one some exposure to the big boys!
Buck, I'm holding out on some of the better shots for that very purpose. Just not sure who, where, and how yet :retard:
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Trailblazer..Thank you so much for posting, I am in AWE of your photos you took & what you saw in real...all the wildlife in there natural habitat must have been really special..I can't even imagine seeing a giant Sea Turtle or an Iguana in real life...How lucky you were to see!

I love those Blue footed Booby Birdies...the feet are really amazing. Do they migrate or stay on the Islands year round? Hope thats not a stupid questions..but just not sure

Beautiful pictures Thank you :D
copeg

Post by copeg »

madeintahoe wrote:Trailblazer..Thank you so much for posting, I am in AWE of your photos you took & what you saw in real...all the wildlife in there natural habitat must have been really special..I can't even imagine seeing a giant Sea Turtle or an Iguana in real life...How lucky you were to see!

I love those Blue footed Booby Birdies...the feet are really amazing. Do they migrate or stay on the Islands year round? Hope thats not a stupid questions..but just not sure

Beautiful pictures Thank you :D
Thank you for your comments madeintahoe!

From my understanding, boobies themselves are found in many locations, but the blue-footed boobies are only found in the Galapagos. Likewise for the red footed boobies, which we unfortunately did not see. They really are beautiful birds.
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

What a great adventure, that must have been so much fun seeing and photographing the wildlife, catching action like the shark and sea lion. I’ve been having lots of fun in the Channel Islands this year, I can only imagin how wonderful your trip must have been.