TR: Emigrant Wilderness, June 29 - July 2, 2012

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Emigrant Wilderness, June 29 - July 2, 2012

Post by maverick »

Bill Morell wrote:
Did I read that correctly that you are not going up Pine Creek in about a week? I
was so hoping that you were going to have a TR for that one. We are leaving on
Aug. 2nd for our loop trail from Pine Creek TH over Italy Pass, Selden Pass and
then back over Pine Creek Pass.
Bill did you see this report it should give you some 411: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7912&p=57507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by whrdafamI? »

maverick wrote:
Bill Morell wrote:
Did I read that correctly that you are not going up Pine Creek in about a week? I
was so hoping that you were going to have a TR for that one. We are leaving on
Aug. 2nd for our loop trail from Pine Creek TH over Italy Pass, Selden Pass and
then back over Pine Creek Pass.
Bill did you see this report it should give you some 411: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7912&p=57507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maverick, yes I did but thank you. I was hoping for pics from the other side of Italy Pass.This will be new territory from Granite Park to the bridge at the Piute trail jct. New again from Hutchison Meadow back down to Upper Pine Creek Lake. We are hoping we make Muir Ranch during operating hours to have a cold beer. We'll see!
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:Bill, sorry to disappoint, but I won't be making the trip to Bear Lakes Basin (via Italy Pass) this year. It was tough to accept after planning it for so long, but necessary as I am needed here. Have a great trip! I look forward to your TR and living vicariously.
CDM,so sorry that your planned trip is not going to happen. Maybe you can do it next year? I will post a trip report for sure.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
backpackerlabelle
Topix Novice

Post by backpackerlabelle »

Carne - I am considering this trip for the upcoming long weekend. I'm wondering if this is the kind of cross country I can do with my pup, a lab mix. She's pretty good on rock and open slab, but if it gets too steep or requires climbing, that will probably be a dead end for us. How is the cross country? Does it require climbing at any point, or steps high than 3 feet or so?

Thanks - great trip report, and great photos!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Welcome to HST, backpackerlabelle!

As is custom on this board, we'd like to know a bit more about your abilities before giving advice. Please refer to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will say this: I wouldn't recommend taking a dog on our route from Middle Lewis Lake to the shoulder of Granite Dome. That was a steep climb with some talus to navigate.

Once you give us a better idea of your abilities, I'd be more than happy to help.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
backpackerlabelle
Topix Novice

So sorry! I have lurked on these forums before (such a great resource / community) and seen the posts, but forgot about that. :)

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
I would say I'm mostly a level 3 backpacker - I've haven't done too much x-country with my pack, usually just for day hike adventures. But I would like to try some x-country on these big open slabs in the sierra.

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
Class 2 terrain with a pack.

What is your main interest?
Lakes, big mountain scenery, and general awe-inspiring outdoors is what I'm after. I've done most my backpacking in the northern part of this state (and can recommend some good trips up around the Trinities and Marbles) but am new to the Sierra. I like to bring my dog, she has some good mileage including some cross country hiking, but on a recent trip to Desolation she didn't do so great (was hot, sluggish, frequent breaks).

Thanks for all your advice and great trail reports.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Thanks, backpackerlabelle. Yep, this forum is a great resource.

As for your route, I'd suggest heading from Summit Creek west toward Iceland Lake. This will take you over a gradual granite slab and a couple saddles. I took this route in June of 2009 and it was pretty easy. It will also probably be easy to access Sardella and Ridge Lakes if you so choose.
map_dog_route_Iceland.jpg
I believe balzaccom took this route recently and posted a TR here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This a really beautiful area—enjoy your trip!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
backpackerlabelle
Topix Novice

Thank you so much! The topo map and everything. :) I'll try to take some good pictures and post them for all to enjoy.
rclivin
Topix Newbie

Post by rclivin »

Thanks for posting this trip! Looking forward to heading out on this loop in a couple months, but just want to check with you on a couple things. We are hoping to do a loop (versus the route I see commonly out to the lakes coming from Summit Creek, that's out and back). But we will have dogs with us, so for sure need to leave off the side trip to Granite Dome from what you were saying. But what about the rest of the trail?

About us:

Level 3 backpacking experience
Very comfortable on Level 2 terrain, with limited experience with level 3, comfortable with snow travel & mild to moderate water crossings. All with a hefty pack
Main interests: Lakes, fishing, big mountain scenary
Trip will be 5 days, 4 nights, so nice and leisurely trip for this mileage, over memorial day
Will have 3 dogs, all young, robust, and have been on many treks with us.
Been in the Emigrant once before last year, love this area- did a 2 day 20mile loop up to Jewelry Lake.

Thanks for any input!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote: As for your route, I'd suggest heading from Summit Creek west toward Iceland Lake. This will take you over a gradual granite slab and a couple saddles. I took this route in June of 2009 and it was pretty easy. It will also probably be easy to access Sardella and Ridge Lakes if you so choose.
map_dog_route_Iceland.jpg
I believe balzaccom took this route recently and posted a TR here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This a really beautiful area—enjoy your trip!
I've taken this exact route to Iceland Lake from Summit Creek and it's really straight forward.

CDM, How's the decent from Iceland Lake to Relief Valley? When I visited the area, I decided to go back the way I came in (solo, being overly cautions), but making the loop that you did would have been a much better route. Thanks.
Last edited by FeetFirst on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.