Hi, from the Wind Rivers

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Hi, from the Wind Rivers

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I returned yesterday and am fit and well! In all I was out: 13 days, in town for 1 to resupply; out 14 days, in town 1 day to resupply and final trip 11 days. I have not figured out the mileage yet, but close to 230 miles. Went 8 days without seeing a single person. Saw multitudes of elk, mountain sheep, deer - few people. Last week the smoke for fires was pretty bad. Weather was very unusual for Wyoming- more Sierra-like. They are in a serious drought here - lots of threatening clouds but little rain action. It only froze ONE night since I was out, even at altitudes of 11,000 feet. Glaciers are melting like crazy. I found some amazing elk trails - you are hardly ever "off trail" if you count game trails. Just follow the "poo". Fresh elk tracks lead me through some of the touhest terrain. Had an unusual domestic animal experience too - a sheep dog left his shepherd who eveidently was not feeding him and followed me for 2 days , over a really difficult pass full of boulders. I finally ran into a wonderful boy scout group - they took the poor dog as thier "good deed". I was really worried as to how I was going to feed that huge dog. He was a really sweet dog. No way was he going to return to his "owner". Also had to camp up on top of a rock at a trailhead while I waited for my pick-up. Curious cows were a real hazard to my little tent! And, last day, a little chipmunk actually ran off with my stove burner and I had to chase him and retreive my stove!

Am driving up to Washington and will be back in CA in a week or so and hope to get out some trip reports with photos. Took over 1,000 photos. Lots of work to get these edited.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hi, from the Wind Rivers

Post by maverick »

Good to hear from you WD, was wondering when you'd be back from the Winds.
Looking forward to reading about your adventures, and seeing the photo's.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

little chipmunk actually ran off with my stove burner and I had to chase him and retreive my stove!
Awesome visual :D :D
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

What an awesome trip you must be having.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Glad to hear all is well WD!!!! Looking forward to seeing the pics. Did you bring your fly rod on any of the journeys?
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Trnnflt
Topix Newbie

Post by Trnnflt »

I have really enjoyed and learned from your writings. Thank you.