Weaver Lake/Jennie Lake 7/30 - 8/1 pictures

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Weaver Lake/Jennie Lake 7/30 - 8/1 pictures

Post by MountainMinstrel »

It has taken me a while to get the pictures online but I got it figured out. The trip was three days. First day to Weaver Lake. The second to Jennie Lake via JO Pass. The third day over Poop Out Pass and back to the trail head at Big Meadows.

Jennie Lake was absolutely beautiful

You can see the rest of the pictures at http://community.webshots.com/album/552941767LjgSHY
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice photos. I couldn't help notice your multiple shots of fish rises in Jennie Lake. Did you fish there?
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

No :crybaby: I didn't get my license this year. I spent the money on backpacking gear instead. I still need to replace a 26 year old white stag sythetic bag (weighs a ton, takes up too much room, and is not as warm as it once was) with something else. Then I will get some better clothing. Then I will get the license. Though I have to admit it was hard sitting there watching all those fish rise. Thanks for the nice comment on the photos.

ken
PJ
Topix Newbie

Post by PJ »

Thanks for the photo-essay. The times when you wrote comments rather than just post the pictures made it easier for me to follow the trip, so thanks again for when you took the time to do that.

Would you provide some details re:
It looks like you decided to go to Weaver Lake on the first day, parking at the trailhead on Sunday and walking to W L that same day - correct?
How were the crowds on the trail, or in the campsites (or, maybe going in on a Sunday made a big "crowd" difference)?
Were the trails in generally good shape?
Are you glad that you did the trip in that direction, or would you have reversed the direction if you had to re-think it (or did it make no difference at all)?
How about the bug situation?

I was strongly considering much the same hike for next week, and now you're making me reconsider where I decided to go! Maybe I can squeeze in another trip before school starts.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

PJ, to answer your questions;

Yes we went to Weaver lake the first day. This was due to the fact that we all had obligations at church so we didn't get to the trailhead until about 3:00 PM.

There were no crowds on the trail at all. The first night (Weaver Lake) there was only one other camp (a group of 4). We saw not a sole on the trail to Boulder Creek/JO Pass--not even a foot print. There were several people camping at Jennie Lake but there was still plenty of room and peace and quite. Saw a few folks on the trail going back to the TH over Poop Out Pass, but nothing I would call crowded.

The trails were in very good shape, although the trail to Boulder Creek/JO pass does not seem to get much trafic. It seems that most folks just do an out and back over Poop Out Pass.

If I had it do over I think I would probably do it the same way. I would not want to go the opposite direction as the climb out from Boulder Creek going that way would be up a fairly steep section of loose rock creek bed that while it was not bad going down would have been tough going up. I think that the people who do the out and back miss some great views on this trail. However, I might consider that next time and spend the extra day at Jennie day hiking up to the top of Jennie mountain.

The bugs not a problem at all.

ken