Western Sierra Trip Suggestions (24-27AUG)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Western Sierra Trip Suggestions (24-27AUG)

Post by Stevendanger75 »

Hi all,

I have decided to get out into the wilderness once more this summer, and I would greatly appreciate some suggestions seeing as I have never ventured into the Western Sierra this late in the season.

What level of backpacking experience do you have?

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Everything short of Class 5

What is your main interest?
-Lakes
-Meadows

I am planning to head out for 4 days/three nights in the Western side (solo, so needs to be loop or 'out and back'). My original plan was to head over to the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness, but in the event that I can't get a 'first come first serve' permit, I would like to know of a few backup ideas.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
lambertiana
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Western Sierra Trip Suggestions (24-27AUG)

Post by lambertiana »

If you are up for a long day on the trail, try East Lake from Roads End. It's a beautiful location that does not see a huge amount of traffic. From Roads End it is 15 miles and 4400' vertical to East Lake. Take two days to go in, spend a day there to explore Lake Reflection, another beautiful location. Then take the last day to come out the 15 miles, all downhill.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Western Sierra Trip Suggestions (24-27AUG)

Post by AlmostThere »

Going all the way to Prather for a Dinkey permit, not getting one, and then driving all the way to Kings Canyon does not sound like fun.

Which trailhead were you intending to get, and what are you driving? If you have high clearance the drive to Willow Meadow trailhead won't be an issue. Ask for the first choice trailhead and then the second (Cliff Lake, or Willow Meadow). Then ask for the Maxson trailhead out of Courtright, and head up to Red Mountain Basin. Or Bench Valley. Take a good map and be prepared for trails to peter out in some areas.

Or, ask for Edison trailhead and head up to Graveyard Lakes. Or, head up from Florence to Sallie Keyes. Or, head out from Deer Creek or Billy Creek into Kaiser Wilderness and explore the lakes on the north side of the peak.

Trailheads out of Wishon will take you into Crown Valley and from there (if you are inclined to go higher) Black Cap Basin. A gorgeous area.