If you didn't get a permit...would you still go?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Gozerian138
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: If you didn't get a permit...would you still go?

Post by Gozerian138 »

How much was the fine that you had to pay in Grand Canyon? Just curious..
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

It's been many years but I believe that it was in the $75 range. Note that this was when I was making $3 something an hour so it actually hurt pretty badly but was still worth it... No regrets :-)
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moonwalker »

I don't think of myself as being a particularly obedient person, but I support the permit system. I've gone in without a permit before (in college), and felt paranoid the whole time. I don't think of it as the government trying to manage the experience, rather it is a logical and laudable attempt to protect a scarce resource from its own popularity. They don't have the staff to do much more than limit the numbers. Probably everyone who doesn't manage to get a permit in time has their own "good reason" why the rule shouldn't apply to them, but if you plan early enough, or go in at a less popular point, I bet there is almost never a problem.
Thebrassnuckles
Topix Newbie

If you didn't get a permit...would you still go?

Post by Thebrassnuckles »

I jus went to monarch lakes out of mineral king. I tried to get a permit from the ranger station but it was 4:19 pm. They close at 4. The ranger gave me a whole pile of attitude and said no. They are closed, as he performed a refund for another guy.

I went to a campground up the road and stayed the night there. Went back in the morning for another serving of attitude, got my permit and hit the trail. Turned my nice relaxed trip into a hike in, sleep hike out.

Still had fun though.