Desolation Family Washout

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Desolation Family Washout

Post by giantbrookie »

TahoeJeff wrote:BTW does anyone know of any other lakes (hike to not drive to) in the Sierra besides Gilmore and Stony Ridge with macks?
In spite of the wet ending, I agree with you that it was a successful trip and the good parts of the trip: climbing Tallac, catching fish, and relaxing at the lake in nice weather will remain as great memories for your family.

Regarding the macks, for years I am pretty sure the only hike-to lakes in CA with macks were Stony Ridge (the first lake in CA big or small where macks were introduced in something like 1884) and Gilmore. I know they recently put at least two rounds of fingerlings (ie air dropped in at least two different seasons) into Island L. (Grouse Ridge) but I have no idea how well they've done or if there is an established population there. So far I haven't heard a report of anyone catching one there.

I wonder if there are others or if there are any plans to plunk some macks in a lake somewhere---perhaps a super deep lake somewhere teeming with stunted brookies (there are a few of these, including at least one other in Desolation). I am aware of NV plunking macks in at least one backcountry lake that had stunted brookies. I have no idea if the brookie population has been reduced and improved in size but at least one mack taken from there equals my best Gilmore fish.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Desolation Family Washout

Post by madeintahoe »

What a great trip...makes me very homesick! Beautiful pictures...that patch of Fireweed is wonderful!
One of my favorite hikes is from Gilmore to Dicks Pass...that is a beautiful section of trail that I just love!
Love the swimming picture! Happy Doggies!