13K dog rescue

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
RooPhillip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

13K dog rescue

Post by RooPhillip »

What a story! I hope the original owner doesn't get the dog back...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ntain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 13K dog rescue

Post by rlown »

RooPhillip wrote:What a story! I hope the original owner doesn't get the dog back...
Ditto.. Looks like the rescuers did a great job!
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Post by RooPhillip »

Wow. I just finished reading the entire Dog Found (And Rescued!) thread on the 14ers.com forum mentioned in this story. It's a 46 page thread and is now locked. The owner of the dog finally chimes in on page 22. If you have a couple hours to kill it's a very compelling read.

It'll be interesting to see who end up with the dog...
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

Years ago my Lab Domino was getting on in years (12). We took her on a fairly easy trip of about twelve miles. Well she had never had a problem before but on day two of our layover she wasn't acting right and walking all shakey. I didn't know what to do. I finally figured out she was sore footed and made her some boots from my tent footprint. Before I figured out what was wrong and what to do, I thought of all my options. The only option I didn't think of was to let her starve to death! What a piece of crap that should be permanantly be banned from owning a pet at least and in jail at most. It would have been better to have killed her than leave her to a slow death. :soapbox:
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Heck….that was almost me! I took my ole lab up in the high country back in July. We put on some serious mileage the first two days. I figured since she is a hunting dog and I work her readily, her pads would be ok. I was clearly wrong. Not only was her arthritis giving her a hard time, but her pads were shot. She gave up after three miles on the third day. Laid right smack dab in the middle of the creek and wouldn’t budge.

My dog is part of my family, and I felt like a real a-hole pushing her like that. Even though the day before she was up to her normal routine and you wouldn’t have even thought she was in bad shape. You need to be vigilant with your critters in the high country. Since Ellery is my still my little girl, she ended up getting a free ride out of the Sierra slung over the top of my pack. She is a 70lbs Labrador Retriever and I carried her every bit of five miles back to my truck. It was my duty to get my dog out of the high country.

I can’t believe anyone could ever be that irresponsible to ditch their dog, let alone put rescuers life at risk in the rescue operation…
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I was very interested in this story because as some of you may know, many of my TR's (which are mostly in the fishing portion) include my four legged hiking buddy. As he has gotten older (9 now) I've had to be more cautious and make sure that I take into consideration mileage, elevation, and terrain (laker usually is wearing his Ruff Wear hiking boots.....they are the best out there). It's hard for me to imagine leaving a dog alone to die in the mountains. Not being there and fully understanding their predicament, I could see a situation where you'd have to leave to get more help. But not exhausting all further recovery options is unacceptable. Great job by the rescuers!!