Half Dome from Valley floor at night

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Half Dome from Valley floor at night

Post by maverick »

Most folks realize there fear when about to descend. Have witnessed people so scared
that they could not move. It is steep, and going up is much easier, so if you have
serious issues with heights
you should really reconsider doing it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AdirondackMike
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Half Dome from Valley floor at night

Post by AdirondackMike »

Did this exact trip and arrived at the top for sunrise, had the entire rock to ourselves. We did take the jmt I believe.
phunhog
Topix Novice

Post by phunhog »

I did this as a trail run about 8 years ago. As I recall I left Happy Isles about 3:30-4 in the morning. Power hiked the Mist Trail and ran the rest. I got to the shoulder of Half Dome at sunrise. As long as you have a good headlamp and stay on the trail it shouldn't be a problem. It is actually really, really nice to have the trail to yourself and be up top before the hordes of people. If I remember right I was back in the Valley before noon.
roxyk
Topix Novice

Post by roxyk »

UPDATE: I totally skipped out on HD because the group I was going with wanted to stay in Curry Village--no thanks!
So I did Clouds Rest instead, alone, with no problems, and it was fabulous! Took me 7 hrs total with 1hr at the summit.
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

Hantavirus not your thing?
roxyk
Topix Novice

Post by roxyk »

Not so much. I was also very happy to avoid the hordes of people in the Valley.