Wood Stove, Desolation Wwilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Wood Stove, Desolation Wwilderness

Post by frediver »

I just went over the regs. and could not find any info. on wood stoves like the Zip,
nimblewill, or Emberlit backpack stoves. All the regs said was No Campfire, Camp stoves are ok. Anyone have more info.?
Thanks
frediver
Topix Regular

Re: Wood Stove, Desolation Wwilderness

Post by frediver »

Sorry, double post phone glitch.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Good question. I have a bushbuddy stove and a trail designs inferno, so I've often wondered about using them in no fire zones. I rarely see rangers in the back country ( except for Yosemite) so getting caught isn't to much of an issue. I would assume they would regard it as a fire. If they would give you some sort of ticket? I doubt it.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I would call the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit office: (530) 543-2600, or the Eldorado National Forest Pacific Ranger District Office: (530) 647-5415 and ask them directly. I would not just go ahead and do it 'cause getting caught isn't an issue or you doubt they would give you a ticket.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

Regardless of regulations...

It's only illegal if you get caught :thumbsup:
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

My understanding is woodburning stoves are not allowed above 10400 feet, even if you carry the wood above the threshold. Best to call the agency issuing the permit before making plans. It's not totally about scaring or wildfire danger.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Oh man, is this toungue in cheek, or do you guys forego wilderness permits and fishing licenses too?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

"Campfires are prohibited in Desolation Wilderness to reduce human-caused fires, impacts to vegetation from firewood collection, and to reduce the visual impacts of fire rings and surface scarring. Your Wilderness Permit is also your campfire permit for your gas camp stove while visiting the Desolation Wilderness."

No fires means no wood stoves.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Tahoejeff...Ive always gotten wilderness permits as required, never built fires in restricted areas, packed out trash, use catch and release flyfishing. This was a just wonder if deal. I'm not a sierra yahoo I beg your parden!
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

TahoeJeff wrote:Oh man, is this toungue in cheek, or do you guys forego wilderness permits and fishing licenses too?
No..not tongue in cheek. It's a dumb-arse regulation....right up there with carrying your used TP out of the woods