Carol Col and Feather Pass question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Carol Col and Feather Pass question

Post by maverick »

Hi Lunarlab,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for your input hope to hear more about your trips in
the future.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

A few years ago we did 1) North Lake to Mesa Lake, 2) over Puppet/Carol then to Royce Lakes, 3) to Granite Park, Italy Pass, Dancing Bear Pass to Ursa Lake, 4) over Feather Pass past Merriam Lake to Hutchinson Meadow, 5) out. I think that was the itinerary, anyway. It was very difficult because so much of the trip was on talus, and because my partner was not a strong boulder-hopper. The highlight was visiting the Royce Lakes. They were clearly rarely visited, but well worth the trip.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Might see you out there millertime.

I am taking 9 days with no set itinerary going up pine creek. We want to to see the Bear lakes and the Gables. If all goes well we spend time at both French and Royce, but nothing gets done until we are dang good and ready to do it. I plan on only one pass per day max with a pack on. Especially those X-country routes. We may go to French first to eat a bunch of food and get acclimated before taking on Ruskie or Royce-Merriam or Feather

I've been to Desolation and to Royce. If you are feeling strong, you could get up into Royce from French for an overnight. It's a pretty amazing place. i think you made a good decision about the Bear Lakes area, it's way back there, sensibly it's 2 days in from either Piute or Pine Creek.
millertime
Topix Acquainted

Post by millertime »

Thanks for the additional input Lunarlab and ManOfTooManySports!

I am still set on the plan I mentioned previously inspired by Paul; being North Lake to Mesa for 2 nights, then drop down Carol Col and Head to French lakes for night 3, Royce Lakes night 4, Hutchinson Meadow night 5 and then back out Piute Pass on the 6th day. This is all dependent on doggies condition each day and I wont hesitate to cut off a leg of the trip as there are dozens of options up there. He is a well disciplined working dog and doesn't get to release his energy until it is appropriate, so we are pretty confident he will hold up just fine.

I am curious, what route is best to take once down Carol Col to approach French Lakes? I was planning on using the ridge just north of Steelhead but I don't know how that would play out... Looks fine on a topo map.
chrisdiercks
Topix Acquainted

Post by chrisdiercks »

I spend too much time lurking on this site to not contribute... so hopefully this is useful. Concerning the dog, I have had my german shorthair over a number of passes in that area including Ruskie, Merrium, and Feather. She has been out for as long as 8 days and carries a pack with her food and doggie FAK (including leather booties). In sustained class 2, I take the pack off her so she can boulder hop and maintain her balance. When I hit class 3, it depends on the circumstance, but for going down Ruskie I rigged a harness with rope and lowered her down the 10 ft or so of rock face. I would bring rope just in case AND the dog could carry it.