Marcella Lake route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Marcella Lake route

Post by SSSdave »

A couple years ago we discussed routes and trails going up to Marcella and Cirque Lakes. And how one might connect such routes in an itinerary that includes Hooper, Orchid, and or Apollo lakes on these two threads.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2044&start=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... f=1&t=3312" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone been up that way since? I'd still like to know if there is a horse trail to Marcella via the Bear Dome area. And if so does that connect to the Jackass Meadow trailheads to the Hooper Basin?

Am considering going up to Orchid and Apollo over the Labor Day period with a 5 day trip. With the drought, Bear Creek will be easy to cross in any zone. From SF Bay area to Bear Diversion Dam is a long drive after a work day. If I can get up there by 10pm, then I can night hike a couple hours and climb 2.5 miles from 7350 up to 7800. Then from there the next morning, 8800 just below Kip camp is only 4 miles and 1000 feet. Thus by late morning carrying my huge 65 pounds, would be able to reach that point and take a 2 to 4 hour mid day break on the creek. Then at mid afternoon would cross the creek and climb the 1.5 miles 800 feet up to Bear Twin Lakes where I would probably camp or rest and continue further to Apollo. In any case the next morning at dawn would continue the 2.0 miles up 950 feet to Apollo Lake where I would base camp for two days. On day 4 would descend to the plunge pools at 8700.

If I reached Apollo Lake on the first day then could consider also visiting Cirque and then camping at Marcella. If a packer trail exists from there down past Bear Dome, would be able to also lay over in that area as the trailhead would be just a day away.
caddis
Founding Member

Re: Marcella Lake route

Post by caddis »

The Bear fire is burning below Bear dome. You may be able to walk up a fire line if they have it all mopped up by Labor Day:)

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3119/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Fire is 500 acres and 50% contained.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

That hot dry slope has a lot of unpleasant manzanita.