Rock Creek to Kern Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
skinnyhips
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Rock Creek to Kern Canyon

Post by skinnyhips »

Has anyone hiked off-trail down Rock Creek, dropping into the Kern River Canyon from the east, just to the north of the Kern Hot Spring? Would be going off trail from around the Rock Creek Ranger Station on the PCT just SE of Mt. Guyot.
My son and I have done the Big Arroyo into the Kern Canyon from the west side, between Rattlesnake Creek to the south and the High Sierra Trail to the north, which was challenging but doable. (Actually my son, 20 at the time, had no problems, but I don't have the rock hopping nimbleness I once had). Rock Creek looks a bit steeper than Big Arroyo.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rock Creek to Kern Canyon

Post by copeg »

Here's an older post with a very brief description of a route that might help: Shortest way to Kern Hot Springs.
skinnyhips
Topix Newbie

Post by skinnyhips »

Thanks for pointing me to the earlier post...
1HikingFool
Topix Newbie

Post by 1HikingFool »

Last week my son (22) and I (63) made the cross country trip to Funston, down a chute to the Kern Hot Springs, and on the High Sierra to Crescent Meadow. Used firm GPS points across the meadow to the lake and down the chute. In retrospect I would not do this again since the risk reward is off balance. The trip down the chute (very steep and loose) was very risky with slipping sections and several rock falls. We had full packs on for the five day trip. Noticed that someone else had used this route earlier in the year. The problem is that there is a probability of injury and once you get to the bottom it is 3 days out via one of several exit routes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi 1HikingFool,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for your input, maybe we will get lucky and get
a TR & pictures from you too. :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org