Boy Scout Backpacking - Labor Day - Emigrant Wilderness -???

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Barry
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Boy Scout Backpacking - Labor Day - Emigrant Wilderness -???

Post by Barry »

I work with a Boy Scout troop that that wants to go backpacking over labor day weekend. Most of the group has only gone once - in the Santa Cruz Mountains. They will be as young as 12. Probably around a half dozen kids with two adults.

They decided they would like an easy trip in (5 miles?) with a layover day and return. My main goal is to get them to enjoy backpacking since this troop has a poor history of hiking and backpacking.

I first considered Desolation Wilderness but the last minute permitting process looked like a problem.

I then turned to Emigrant Wilderness due to easier access from South Bay and pleasant memories from a long time ago. Looking at Gianelli Cabin to Y Meadow, lay over or day hike, and then return.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this particular route or alternatives to consider.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Re: Boy Scout Backpaking - Labor Day - Emigrant Wilderness -???

Post by bluefintu »

Hi Barry,

I'm a Scoutmaster and we will be heading up to Mammoth Lake area for a car camping trip that weekend. I have three new Scouts with no camping experience, so, we'll do a car camp with day hikes. I just want them to have fun and maybe catch some fish.

I know how you feel about the Scouts that haven't been on any backpacking trips or they don't have the experience. I have problems finding another adult that wants to go with us.(my Troop is very small) I found one of our alumni parent and adult son to join me in the outing for Mammoth.

Permits for the good or popular trails are gone for a big group. Hoover Wilderness may have spots available for that weekend, they used to have no quota's, but I think it changed.

Anyway, we are car camping for this trip,but, we will eat good !!! Going for Gold(en)

Don
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Boy Scout Backpacking - Labor Day - Emigrant Wilderness -???

Post by maverick »

Hi Barry,

Welcome to HST! Please use the HST search feature above the backpacking section
it will give you several TR's, and info about the Gianelli area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Boy Scout Backpacking - Labor Day - Emigrant Wilderness -???

Post by balzaccom »

You can make either of those trailhead works. I think I prefer Crabtree Cabin to Bear Lake...with an additional day-trip as a cross-country hike up to Granite Lake. The only concern is that you might run into a fair number of people.

If you want more solitude, check out Clark Fork, and hike up the Clark Fork towards the meadow.

All of these would work. And there are trip reports on a couple of them on our website.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963