Resupply at Charlotte Lake - want to hire

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Guy Cooper
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Resupply at Charlotte Lake - want to hire

Post by Guy Cooper »

Hi all,

So, I am planning what will be the trip of my lifetime. I'm starting at Lake Thomas Edison and picking up the JMT to Crabtree, then from there heading west through the Kaweah Basin and back out over Kaweah Gap to Crescent Meadows! I need a resupply at Charlotte to get me enough food to make it back over to the west side. I heard that there is one or maybe several folks over on the east side that have some type of informal business carrying food over Kearsarge Pass to Charlotte. Anyone know anything about this? Or would anyone here like to make $100 (or name a price) to bring me a resupply? I'm really pressed for time and don't have time to hike out to Onion Valley let alone the trip down to Independence from there. I know about Sequoia Kings Pack Train and that is my backup option but I thought it would be way cooler to pay someone to hike it in if they want the business. Thanks for reading and any advice!

Guy
Guy Cooper
Topix Novice

Re: Resupply at Charlotte Lake - want to hire

Post by Guy Cooper »

For accuracy sake I'm heading west at Tyndall or Wallace, but that's a minor detail!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Guy,

See if this older thread helps with some ideas: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5125&p=31641&hilit= ... ake#p31641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Guy Cooper
Topix Novice

Post by Guy Cooper »

Thanks Peter. Btw I was looking at your gallery the other day and I am blown away by your lightning photography. A single shot like that would be a dream come true for me and you have like 5 or 6. Amazing. All the photos are stunning by the way. I'm amazed you carry the 1ds and those lenses around the backcountry. I'm planning on sacrificing down to a xti and 15-85 with a series 0 tripod and bh25 for this trip, as tough as it is to leave the 5d at home. BUt I guess that's the beauty of being an amateur! Thanks again.
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

Since you're in a rush you might want to post the same question over at backpackinglight.com. There's a pretty knowledgeable community over there as well with a bunch of Sierras-focused folks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Guy wrote:
Btw I was looking at your gallery the other day and I am blown away by your
lightning photography. A single shot like that would be a dream come true
for me and you have like 5 or 6. Amazing. All the photos are stunning by the way.
Thanks Guy for your kind comments. Sometimes the 100-400 doesn't get a lot of usage
but there are those compositions that get a boost from compressing the distance
of the foreground and background. This technique is not widely used and can add
a unique look to your photo's when used properly.
The 1 DS though a little outdated now still offers me a piece of mind in severe weather
that the 5D's do not, and a great IQ at ISO 100. Hopefully Canon introduces something
next month that will be in the 40 MP range with great dynamic range, no banding
issues, and resemble the build quality of the 1 DS, but I won't hold my breath.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
zorobabel
Topix Acquainted

Post by zorobabel »

Guy Cooper wrote: Or would anyone here like to make $100 (or name a price) to bring me a resupply? I'm really pressed for time and don't have time to hike out to Onion Valley let alone the trip down to Independence from there. I know about Sequoia Kings Pack Train and that is my backup option but I thought it would be way cooler to pay someone to hike it in if they want the business. Thanks for reading and any advice!
Guy
It would help if you would mention the date...
Guy Cooper
Topix Novice

Post by Guy Cooper »

Very good point....Sun Aug 19 plus or minus a day depending on anyone's availability.
Guy Cooper
Topix Novice

Post by Guy Cooper »

And by the way I am happy to pay more just name your price it would be a long day of hard work but could be a nice way to cover the cost of a trip if anyone wants to head up that way anyway and turn it into a weekend trip...