High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Post by Ska-T »

If you deal with extremely minor issues here is one. Izaack Walton Lake is "missing" (N 37.48446 W 118.90035). It should be just west of Cotton Lake and an equal distance east of Mace Lake. Right now it is an unnamed green "meadow" circumscribed by a blue "stream".

Scott
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Ska-T wrote:If you deal with extremely minor issues here is one. Izaack Walton Lake is "missing" (N 37.48446 W 118.90035). It should be just west of Cotton Lake and an equal distance east of Mace Lake. Right now it is an unnamed green "meadow" circumscribed by a blue "stream".

Scott
Not much I can do about that but blame google :D Its on the topo view, but on the overall map view supplied by them its missing. Maybe they don't want anyone to know about it ;)
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Greg, I'm having the same problem Barthu was having. I'm using Windows Vista (unfortunately), and Firefox. Javascript is enabled and I have no problem using Google maps. Thanks.
copeg

Post by copeg »

quentinc wrote:Greg, I'm having the same problem Barthu was having. I'm using Windows Vista (unfortunately), and Firefox. Javascript is enabled and I have no problem using Google maps. Thanks.
Hmmm, unfortunately I don't have a Windows Vista OS handy to test. Does it work with any other browser?
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Sorry Greg, forgot all about this. No, it doesn't work with Explorer either.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Brewer Pass has a typo. It says drop down to Eats Lake. I'm pretty sure you mean East Lake.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Brewer Pass has a typo. It says drop down to Eats Lake. I'm pretty sure you mean East Lake.
Thanks, Rogue. I'll get it fixed.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Post by norcalhiker »

What needs to be done to get a full set of Sierra trails placed on the map?

When that's done, it'll seem pretty complete to me. Until then...

Also, can we open up the data set? How do we download the information? Load it in Google Earth? Create derivative products?
copeg

Post by copeg »

norcalhiker wrote:What needs to be done to get a full set of Sierra trails placed on the map?

When that's done, it'll seem pretty complete to me. Until then...
I remember we had uploaded the JMT when testing, but the number of markers (many thousand) was very long to load, and that's just a small snippet of the mileage of Sierra trails, so its something I'd like (sort of like a virtual Tom Harrison map) but it needs much better annotation so we can categorize trails in a more efficient way
Also, can we open up the data set? How do we download the information? Load it in Google Earth? Create derivative products?
Its on the top of the list of objectives...to both answer the last question (eg licensing) and to provide direct access to the data. Thanks for your feedback norcalhiker!
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Very minor - The position of cross country pass Cinder Col is slightly too far south.