Where did Vennacher Needle get its name (& why)?

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Where did Vennacher Needle get its name (& why)?

Post by cgundersen »

The book I have that provides insight into the origin of names for places/features in the Sierra does not list Vennacher Needle. And, every time I've been in the Vennacher area, I've wondered why it got that name, because the peak that is on the topo maps does not much resemble a needle from any direction I've seen it. However, when one is on the JMT there is a prominent (unnamed) spire a little South of Vennacher Needle (and a little North of Mt. Ruskin). Is there any chance the map makers appended the wrong name to the wrong feature?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Where did Vennacher Needle get its name (& why)?

Post by SSSdave »

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.98356,-118.46266&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Decades ago I bought TSC "Climber's Guide to the High Sierra" by Steve Roper and had read on page 242 the perked my interest to look at the 15' topo to see what this was about. Look at it on Google Earth:

Vennacher Needle (12,996)
This peak, one of the most ill-named in the Sierra, is class 2 from anywhere on its southern side.

Then right below it is:

"Saddlehorn" (Pk. 12,080+, 1.2SE of Vennacher Needle)
Viewed from Tabooose Pass, this is a spectacular peak. The east side, a rounded ridge, is class 4 via steep slabs, A short 5.8 route has been made up cracks on the south face.

Then sometime later before the Internet era, read a comment I recall vaguely that the above two were mixed up by the USGS. Actually that is the only thing that makes sense though if so I wonder why the USGS is so rigid that they left the mistake as is? What is the big deal about changing mistakes on subsequent maps? Actually the USGS takes input on some mistakes like elevation errors. What about stuff like Wilma Lake versus Wilmer Lake?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Dave,
OK, that sounds entirely reasonable to me. My guess is that USGS has not gotten any complaints, so there has been no incentive to correct/change/update. Regardless, since our June trip took us on a complete circuit around "Vennacher Needle" and it never had a needle-like appearance from any vantage that we viewed it, I felt re-affirmed in my original hunch that there may have been a mis-placement of the name on the map.
Does HST want to sponsor an ititiative to alert USGS to this possible mistake? I could supply a few more (amateur) photos!
cg
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Google Earth,
the needle:

the arete: