First trip in 13 years

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mickeyd67
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

First trip in 13 years

Post by Mickeyd67 »

My 13 year old son and I will be going into the cottonwood lake basin in a few weeks. His first. I havent been since before he was born. I went many times with my dad in my teens and look back on those trips as some of the best times Ive had with my dad. Now my dad can't make it due to his health but I'm bringing my dslr and plan on sharing as much as I can with him through the pictures and stories. Im getting my son as involved as possible in the planning. My main goal is to introduce him in a fun way to the High Sierra that I grew to love.
We will be there only three days and two nights, don't want to overwhelm the boy trying to do to much. Fishing will be at the top of our list. Maybe a short day hike?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading. As you may be able to tell I'm getting very excited to go.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: First trip in 13 years

Post by kpeter »

It sounds like we are in parallel situations. I just got back from a trip with my 14 year old (see write up), and I too was deeply influenced by packtrips with my father when I was growing up. When my father became too infirm to pack I enjoyed taking photos and bringing them back to share with him. I also got a SPOT and sent signals so he could follow my progress on maps.

I have only been to the Cottonwood Lakes area once, but I do remember camping at Long lake and finding that there were many, many easy little dayhikes to do going from lake to lake. I remember wandering "cross country" along the South Fork lakes, some of which are emerald green from all the sedge growing in and around them. There is a sketchy trail over to Cirque Lake. Muir lake has a trail to it. And simply hanging out and ambling around Lakes 1-2-3-4-5 is pleasant. A trip up to New Army Pass might be ambitious, but you can gauge if he is up to it. I'd only try that if he is handling the rest of the trip very well. My 14 year old was impressed by going over a pass--I think the first time to a high mountain pass has a unique feel to it.

I wish you well on your trip!
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mradford »

That's awesome. Cottonwoods are the best place for first backpacking trip! You guys will have a great time!!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi MIckeyd67,

Welcome to HST!
First an foremost make sure that he his physically ready by carrying a pack at home
weeks before the trip, nothing ruins a trip faster than not being prepared. Also focus
on the experience rather than the goal to reach a certain location. Let him soak up
the backcountry at his own pace which in turn will allow him to enjoy himself and
the whole experience.
Have a safe and fun trip! Please write up a TR when you get back, would enjoy hearing
about your adventure.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Mickeyd67
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Mickeyd67 »

Thanks all for the replys and words of advice.
We have been on a couple of day hikes to get a "feel" for it. I think my son will be fine with the physical aspect of the the trip. We will go easy and at his pace. I want him to enjoy it as much as possible.
When I first told him we were going he didn't seem that into it but I think it will be like when we go car camping. Once he get there the "boy" comes out of him and he has fun.
I will defiantly update when we get back with the caveat I might ask some more questions on the forums before we go.