TR: Skelton & Pika Lake with kids. 7/27-7/29

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

TR: Skelton & Pika Lake with kids. 7/27-7/29

Post by tim »

Just got back from a great 3 day trip with the kids to Skelton & Pika Lake. Beautiful weather all weekend, getting a little hotter each day, but not a cloud in the sky. Almost no bugs either, apart from a few around Pika Lake at dusk on Saturday night and early Sunday morning.

With the little ones (my 7 yr old and a friend's 5 yr old) we decided to take two days to get over Duck Pass which gave us plenty of time to laze around and swim in the lakes. Definitely recommended as an introductory trip with kids. Skelton Lake was very nice, though busy with day trippers in the afternoon. By dusk it calmed down, except for the fish which were jumping everywhere.

Saturday morning we headed up over Duck Pass, and reached Pika Lake in time for a late lunch. Though not stunning, there were still quit e a few nice flowers on the damp slopes above Duck Lake. We found a great site on top of the ridge between Pika and Duck Lake with 360 degree views and nice shady trees. There were 3 other groups there, but well spread out around the lake Sunset at Pika was spectacular as always (though there was far less snow than when we were there the same weekend in 2010) and after a pleasantly warm night (for 10500ft), probably in the low to mid 40s, we walked out fairly quickly Sunday morning getting down to the trailhead in about 3 hours.
DSC01838.jpg
DSC01856.jpg
DSC01859.jpg
DSC01873.jpg
DSC01947.jpg
DSC01956.jpg
DSC01969.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tim on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Skelton & Pika Lake with kids. 7/27-7/29

Post by gary c. »

What a great trip to take the kids on. I'm sure they had a blast.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks Tim for the wonderful TR and great pictures. Good ages to introduce them
the the wonders of the Sierra. Nice to see some wildflowers in the area too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Nice shots and gorgeous area. Thanks for sharing!
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

A great idea to take younger kids like that on an easy introduction to the wonders of the Sierra. Nice job! Great pics, too.

I recall a few years back just having hiked out of Duck Pass when at the trail head I met a high school cross country team that was running up and down the pass, some more than once in a day. Great training regimen, but it made me feel like a total wimp compared to them.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Thanks so much for sharing! I am headed in to Pika Lake and then on to Purple Lake starting tomorrow. It is nice to have a glimpse ahead!