Sabrina Basin TR- June 22-23/2012

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bluefintu
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Sabrina Basin TR- June 22-23/2012

Post by bluefintu »

Hey richlong8,
So that was you chasing down your sleeping pad !!! J/K. I think I know when you went, that wind was above what you said that weekend. I don't think my tent can handle wind like that. (note to self, buy a better tent) Anyway, I liked your report and was in the process of going there as soon as I can. I have a two pound raft and with wind like that,the raft would be useless.

Don
bluefintu= need to change my user name. My brother caught a 900lb Bluefin on rod and reel last week.
Edit: Fish was released.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I love the upper part of Sabrina basin. Not nearly as much activity. I think due to the fact that there are no good passes into the interior. I've been to Blue Lake 4 times and the upper lakes once. I stayed at Hungry Packer Lk in 2009. Yup, very few camping spots, but I did manage to snag a couple of very nice ones. Trout, that is.
[rimg]100_3044.JPG[/rimg]
I had winds of roughly 40mph. It was wild hearing the gusts howl down from the peaks like a freight train, then hit my tent for a good shake, then settle down again.

I day hiked to Wallace/Haeckel col in those winds.
[rimg]100_3067.JPG[/rimg]
Then decided to abort my Mt. Haeckel summit attempt, 'cause I didn't want to be blown off the mountain. I wish I'd fished Echo Lk and some of the others, but elected to save them for another trip. Perhaps with my son (and a SPOT or equivalent for my wife's peace of mind).

My first trip to Blue Lk. was about 1973. My uncle, his roommate and I packed up with a large inflatable raft that came with it's own pack, pumped it up at the outlet and rowed to the island to camp (when it wasn't restricted). We used worms and flashers and caught 33 rainbow trout in the 3 days we were there. Yes, I still remember how many fish we caught. It was that memorable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Nice shots! Thanks for the report.
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Dude, those shots of that peak are pretty epic! Thanks for posting!