Ediza, Iceberg TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Talimon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Ediza, Iceberg TR

Post by Talimon »

I went on a short 3-day trip up to Ediza with my father, who hasn't been backpacking in years. We got him brand new gear, which was great, because he had traumatic memories of carrying 60-70 lbs when he was in the army. My goal was to pick a relatively easy trip with big payoff in scenery. Mammoth was obviously a zoo, but the trail out of Agnew was relatively quiet. I was a little nervous, because the few parties we did meet were all heading up to Ediza (a couple parties aiming to climb Ritter).

Shockingly, the meadowy north shore was completely empty. There were about 6 parties who had set-up camp around the inlet, but we had the entire north-shore between the rockslide and the the large boulders to ourselves. Perfect weather, no mosquitoes, and stunning wildflowers (see pics). We spent the layover visiting Iceberg lake, which was completely empty. A great "intro to backpacking" trip for my old man.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ediza, Iceberg TR

Post by maverick »

Hi Talimon,

Great place to reintroduce your father to backpacking. Ediza Lake is a relatively
easy hike and the scenery is beautiful.
Good to read about the lack of mosquitoes, and the good wildflower showings.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
abbaman
Topix Novice

Ediza, Iceberg TR

Post by abbaman »

Thanks for the pics. I went out of Agnew a couple of weeks ago but totally missed this gem. I may have to take my dad up here. I teased him last year with a western trip to twin lakes but he really is looking for this kind of scenery thanks again
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Talimon,
I've run into several folks for whom Ediza is their favorite spot in the Sierra, so you obviously chose well. Since you did not mention anything about problems from the blowdown, I presume everything was clear on your route. I presume you parked at Agnew or did you take the shuttle?
cg
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Abbaman,

Welcome to HST! Lake Ediza is a beautiful place and your dad would love it, guaranteed!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
abbaman
Topix Novice

Ediza, Iceberg TR

Post by abbaman »

@cgun. When I went out of Agnew 3 weeks ago it was mandatory shuttle from the mammoth lodge parking lot Pretty cheap and efficient. The trail out of Agnew is clear (I went up to Shadow) but you will see the stacks of debris on your way out. I hope this is helpful. I can post pics when I get home later this week.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report! Good to see you getting out there with your father.
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Great photos, and way to go for reintroducing your dad to backpacking. I would be traumitized to if i carried a 70 pound pack!!