Copper Creek Trail -- Kings Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fourputt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Copper Creek Trail -- Kings Canyon

Post by fourputt »

Bit late for Take-a-Hike, but there are a number of tent sites at Upper Tent. Follow the use trail across the water source to the opposite slope where flat(ish) platforms are cut out of the hillside.

Recently returned from a trip where we got to top of Copper Creek by noon; pooled resources and hired mules from Cedar Grove Pack Station (very nice people) to drop our packs, "loaded for bar" (fish actually), at the Granite Basin lip.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Geez, for as many times I have been on the Copper Creek Trail (in all conditions), Lower Tent Meadow is far enough for the first day! The camping there is fair, there is water, and you just need to think of it as a way station before heading further the next day. Look around and you will find some obvious tent spots near the stream.
That trail is an old Indian trade route, and was even used by John Muir. Near Upper Tent Meadow (see the "tent" rock?), on the right going up you see a low ridge going upward: if you have the energy, go over to that ridge (where the trail nears it) and you will find the old trail shooting up the ridge.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I hiked to LTM, UTM, Grouse, and believe it or not half way between UTM and Grouse, sleeping right by Copper Creek where we stayed with another group (2). My best choice is to start at about 1PM and hike to LTM. It's hard to believe, but hiking it in the afternoon is cooler than the morning because there is nearly always a nice breeze in the afternoon and is almost completely still in the morning. The worst time is from 9AM to noon. My experience applies almost entirely to late June early July hiking.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

I always thought LTM was kind of a pit. (# of people)/(views) > my maximum. ;) Also, it barely gets you halfway up the climb...which is still substantial after UTM, but much more manageable than it is from LTM.

The most important thing, IMO, is to get your permit the day before so you don't have to wait 'til 7:00 am + (time consumed by permit process) to hit the trail. Get a 6:30 start and you'll be up at UTM by noon.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

I think LTM is a pit....however....the one time I stayed there we had the place to ourselves and a herd of about 10 deer stayed the night and about 5-6 youngsters romped and played in abandon til well after dark....was delightful!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;