Trip Advice: Family trip to Emigrant Aug 4 weekend?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
benp
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Trip Advice: Family trip to Emigrant Aug 4 weekend?

Post by benp »

I'll be taking my family out for the first time this coming weekend. Youngest is 7 and has never backpacked, 11 and 13 year old have gone with me for a few years... Was thinking of gianelli trailhead to powell lake and then?? Big concern is mosquitoes -- don't want that to be lasting memory (was there last year at this time and worst I've ever seen).

looking for 3-5 miles/day, 2-3 nights
bringing dog
lake or stream to play by critical

any suggestions greatly appreciated!
oleander
Topix Expert

Re: Trip Advice: Family trip to Emigrant Aug 4 weekend?

Post by oleander »

That is a fantastic choice for young ones, as there are only a few hundred feet of climbing from Gianelli.

If your group gets to Powell Lake and still has energy, I'd recommend Chewing Gum Lake. In spite of the name, it's a very pretty little lake surrounded by granite slabs. Great swimming lake. Actually, Powell lake is a great swimming lake as well; I've never camped there so I don't recall what the camping terrain may have looked like.

The terrain overall is gentle and rolling, well appointed to make little dayhike jaunts to the next lake or two and back.

- Elizabeth
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Benp,

Welcome to HST!
Here is a previous 411 request from this area that may help:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8013&hilit=emigrant+wilderness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
benp
Topix Newbie

Post by benp »

Thank you both.

I guess main concern is mosquitoes -- if anyone has recent experience in area that would be terrific!
PatrickQuin
Topix Regular

Post by PatrickQuin »

I went out Crabtree 2 weeks ago. The mozies were present but not in the way that they would be remembered. Venturefar went out a week after and said they were a non issue. With a well placed camp i can't see them being an issue. I will also note that the streams are pretty low. I would definitely count on lakes for my source of swimming and good water.