That Time Again

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: That Time Again

Post by maverick »

Thanks for giving us a status update Rogue! Seen any outstanding wild flower displays
along the way, though I am not expecting anything great in this drought year.
Keep get injured like that you'll need to get a blood tranfusion every few weeks to
resupply that blood loss. I don't know who has the injury record you or Quentinc. :)
You'll be getting some thunderstorm action this week starting mid week, hopefully no
other wildfires flare up.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well i was able to get wifi at the lodge down te road from parchers.

The last section was crazy as planned. Did more and less then planned. Went straight up charlotte creek which sucked! Did gardiner pass and basin. Took kings col which was the most frightening pass i have ever done. I would rather have done class 5 then that but i made itdown alive. Got caught in the nasty smoke there but went up the window peak drainage. Afterwhite fork saddle i climbed white fork peak which was cool because i was the 5th summit ever. I did not do ickes. Whendoing cartridge passi also did what can be called cartridge peak and was the first person in 4 years there. While crossing dumbell passi met some hikers and camped at the lakes there. I also did not leave camp until 2pm from talking so i fell behind and had to cut out my mt sill day. I climbed observation peak on my way into the lakes west of there. Climbed another random peak i asked about here and left a register on top. The storm stopped me from climbing shakespere. Did cirque pass and then did my own route up potluck which was class 4 but fun. Took thunderbolt col and now here i am. Looking forward to the next crazy section. From dusy i like what i see for crossing the black divide.

I wont do the muir ranch internet so should be 21 days until my next update.

This sure has been the wildest and most demanding hike of my life but i am feeling good while i do all this cross country. I wanted to go up north palisade badly the other day but i figured it would take too long.

I am just happy this is my last longest section without resupply!

Well off to hester lake in two days.
Last edited by RoguePhotonic on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Oh and no great wild flowers.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for checking in again Rogue, happy to read that your okay! Thanks for the
wildflower update.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
scrinch
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by scrinch »

It was nice chatting with you halfway up Bishop Pass on July 27. Best of luck the rest of your journey.

I see from your itinerary you will be at Beck Lake Sept 2. Try to visit a x-country pass a short climb N of Superior Lake. It was named for my cousin who died of leukemia as a small girl several months after leading the family up the pass in the mid-60's. We set a plaque and a register a couple of years later. It's called Nancy Pass.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Scrinch,

Welcome to HST! I have been over Nancy Pass several years back but was in a hurry
to beat some thunderheads moving into the area so did not register.

scrinch
Topix Novice

Post by scrinch »

Thanks for the welcome. Longtime Sierra backpacker here, but limited to once a year usually within a few hours of the family cabin at Mammoth Lakes. I'll try to get more details about Nancy Pass from my uncle.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I do plan on doing Nancy Pass. Glad I got to talk to you and who knows maybe you will see me wandering again.

Right now as for me things were going great but then took a poor turn. I went up to Hester and did Langille Peak, went to Ladder Lake and did the Citadel. I did manage to cross the Black Divide above Hester Lake which was a wild class 3 route with 9 days of food on my back but made it ok. Then things turned when I was on the summit of Charybdis. I dropped my camera and broke it and taking pictures out here is very important to me so I went out of Ionian over Goddard Creek Pass and made my way out to Florence and then to VVR where I am now. I am figuring out what my plans are for replacing the camera so I am not sure how many days I will fall behind. But as soon as I get it sorted I am going to head back into Goddard Creek Pass and resume as planned. I was pissed because everything has been going so smooth and one simple drop and I had to detour. Oh well what can you do right?
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Placed an order for a Canon G1X online. Did over night and sent it home so it will get there Tuesday. Which means I will get someone to bring it to me and then I will head out. Total cost for the gear 848 dollars. Plus the money I will spend being at VVR for days. plus paying for gas to have it brought to me. Easily over a 1000 dollar drop! But at least the G1x should take even better photos so there is one plus side.

So that means I will be able to post for a few days. But now I will be almost a week behind my schedule by the time I get moving again.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Rogue,
Are you still aiming for Ionian/McGee? I'll be strolling up Goddard canyon Thursday (9th) with a buddy and judging from some recent reports, there's the usual high activity on the trails, but once off trail it calms down considerably. Not sure exactly where we'll go once we reach Martha, but there are no bad directions from there....
cg