Grandview Campground

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Grandview Campground

Post by rightstar76 »

I was wondering if anyone knows if Grandview Campground in the White Mountains fills early on the weekends. Are there sites available on Saturday afternoon? I was also wondering if anyone had experience camping along the dirt roads near the campground.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I was just there last weekend. I arrived just before 3am Saturday and there were a lot of empty sites. It’s a big campground. I didn't go back that night so I'm not sure what its like Sat afternoon.

I drove to the White Mountain trailhead Saturday morning, and it was packed! I've never seen that many vehicles there. By the end of my hike most of the vehicles were gone so I decided to stay for the night. There were 2 groups of tents in the area. There's also an outhouse there now, which wasn't too smelly.

I camped once on a dirt road just after the kiosk on the WM road. I was headed for Black Mountain, but there were too many side roads. I didn't want to get lost in the dark so I pulled over and slept. Didn't see any other vehicles.

Those are the only three places I've camped up there, but a lot of times if I'm tired I pull over on dirt roads/turnouts and sleep. I have a bed set up in the back of whatever I'm driving at the time (4Runner or Rubicon).
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Thanks Snow Nymph for responding to my post. It will help me when I visit Grandview Campground on a weekend.