Kearsarge Pass with my fancy new wide-angle lens

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Stevehymon
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Kearsarge Pass with my fancy new wide-angle lens

Post by Stevehymon »

I'm just a hobbyist photographer and recently surrendered my credit card for my first serious lens -- the Nikon 10-24 lens as I've always liked wide-angle photos. The lens actually cost more than my camera, a Nikon D5100.

After taking a sick day last week -- cubicleitis -- I day-hiked from Onion Valley to the Kearsarge Lakes with new lens in tow. So far, I'm liking it. Both of these photos were taken in the noon hour, so the light wasn't great but clouds helped:

That's the view east from Kearsarge Pass.

And the view west from the pass.

In the spirit of self-loathing and photographic improvement, a couple of mistakes I made with these photos. In the top photo, I should have checked out a shot from the other side of the trail -- I may have found a vantage point that allowed me to get all of Big Pothole Lake into the frame. I got a little too comfortable on that big pile of rocks where the survey marker is.

In the bottom shot, if I had taken an extra second to look through the viewfinder I may have noticed that a part of the trail had snuck into lower righthand part of the frame. I still like the photo, but the manmade trail is a wee bit distracting.

That said, I like the lens. I thought it helped convey the grandeur of the Sierra as seen from Kearsage Pass. Unrelated to the Sierra, here's another photo I took with it at Crater Lake last month that's kind of interesting if not necessarily exposed or processed well:

Last edited by Stevehymon on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kearsage Pass with my fancy new wide-angle lens

Post by maverick »

Hi Steve,

PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org