MSR Water Filter Replacement?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

MSR Water Filter Replacement?

Post by madeintahoe »

I have a MSR water filter it is at least 10 years old...I am curious if I should replace the filter?
Not sure this is something one has to do...After each trip..I have always washed the filter very good and let it air dry for a few days before putting it back together..it has always worked very well...Do the filters have a life time on them?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: MSR Water Filter Replacement?

Post by maverick »

Hi MT,

Copied of the MSR home site:

"The standard answer is it should last approximately 250 gallons before the filter
element needs replacing. However this is highly dependent on the quality of water
filtered and how often it was cleaned. The best indicator of whether or not the
element needs to be replaced is if it can filter or not. If it's really hard to filter or
the pressure release valve is spurting water everywhere then you should replace it.
If the filter has sat for 6 months or more without proper maintenance, I would replace
it. There isn't a concern on whether or not it will still filter the bugs out of the water
(i.e. it's efficacy), but if it can still pump water. I would use that as the determining
factor."
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Hi Maverick....Thank you so much for posting that!

I know for sure I have not pumped 250 gallons..but what I am confused about is the sitting for 6 months without proper maintenance..I am thinking they mean put away without cleaning it 1st after the last use and having it sit there for 6 months or longer being dirty..but not sure.

The last I used this filter was almost three years ago..BUT when we got home I did as I always did cleaned it really good and let it air dry for several days, than put it back together and stored it away..This filter has only been used in High Sierra Lakes/Creeks..I have not used it in the Desert like the Escalante River in Utah.

I have used this filter after a 6 month time period and it has always worked fine..so I am a little confused with what they say about that.
I think I will give it a test to see if it's working okay!
Thank you so much!
Anita
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It's nice that you have got 10 years out of it. I've had Katadyn filters twice only last 20 days in the Sierra. I also tend to replace them every 2 months or less. This is of course using it every day.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

10 years. Replace the filter, regardless of how clean you might think it is.

I replace my Katydyn filter every 2 years regardless, and test it in the sink before i leave.

Also, if your pump came with a maintenance kit, like seal lube, use it.