Attention: Missing Hiker on Mount Langley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... -park10306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's hope for the best!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jfelectron
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Attention: Missing Hiker on Mount Langley

Post by jfelectron »

From communicating from people in his group, and a t storm dumping hail and lightning across the eastern flank was threatening Langley. The two other members of the group abandoned their summit bid but Tom pressed on for the last 1000 ft. He signed the register but was not seen after that. I only know this because I went on a trip with Tom and another guy in the Langley group. I am not relaying this to start a discussion about proper mountain protocol, please be respectful. Merely as a cautionary tale that we can learn from. Let's hope he's found.
jfelectron
Topix Acquainted

Post by jfelectron »

Sad news for all of us that go into the mountains http://sanrafael.patch.com/articles/mis ... nal-forest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Wow that is scary and very sad to read. Was his death caused by lightning?
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted

Post by Turtleggjp »

Wow, that's really creepy for me. I was just up there the day before. I knew from watching the weather forecasts that Friday was pretty good, Saturday a little iffy, then Sunday would be bad. Saturday was indeed a little scary, since I saw the first clouds forming well before 8AM. I had hoped to climb Mount Langley and even stop by Cirque Peak on the way back, but was quickly realizing I may have to settle for just a loop around Old and New Army Passes, if THAT would even work out. As it turned out the clouds didn't get much bigger after about 9AM, but were still around. With others around me also still heading up towards Langley, I went for it. I did make it to Langley, and later on Cirque Peak as well, but you can bet I was watching the sky very closely for any signs of the weather getting worse, and was working out bail-out options in case it did. I found myself thinking "How often do you really hear about people getting lost out here?" The fact that it was to happen the very next day, on the same mountain I had just climbed, is really an eye-opener.

Matt
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Very sorry to have read this sad news. Wish his wife, family, and friends strength to get
through these hard times!
May Thomas rest in peace.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I second Maverick's sentiment. :(
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
surfingmarmot
Topix Acquainted

Post by surfingmarmot »

A kindred spirit has been taken from us by the mountains we and he loved so much. Very sad news. Condolences to the families.
"You will never regret getting up too early, and you'll always regret getting up too late, but sometimes you may regret giving up too late." -- Mountaineer's Adage