What would you do?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

What would you do?

Post by Hetchy »

Currently I am trying to save money for another Long Distance hike.
This next hike is something i have only dreamed of.
There is no clear way or path to follow.

In the mean time i am dying inside not being able to hike in the Sierra as i have for the past 20 years prior to 2009.
Seriously, I am having major psychological problems NOT hiking this year.

To go from: being totaly free, living under the sun, at the pace of my heartbeating, seeing mountains grow and wane daily under my feet
to: ... this plywood and sheetrock box, driving a steel can down a highway, living by a clock, and drinking chlorine water.
This is prison by comparison to where i have been for three summers.
I am dying.

Here is the thing;
The boss says i can't hike this summer 'cause we are too busy.
I need the money for my hike next year.
I REALLY feel in my heart i must hike at least 10 days in the Sierra this summer or my heart will die.

On the other hand I have ZERO commitments. No family of my own, no mortgage, no car payments, no debt of any kind. I am totaly free to do anything in the world.
I am also totaly alone in the world (sisters and parents but no significant other)

More info:
The hike I am planning for next year is kinda big and will require a larger amount of resources than the previous long Distance hikes.

In fact, i intend to hike from the Gulf of California along the entire length of the Colorado river(thru the length of the Grand Canyon below the rim) up to the the Continental Divide in Colorado . Then along the CDT thru Wyoming to the Montana/Idaho Border and then down the entire length of the Mississippi river via packraft and foot to the Gulf of Mexico.

Yea, this trip is gonna take a significant amount of money. (Alpaca packraft is 800 bucks alone)
Juding by previous hikes it would be around $10,000 for the hike itself AND the return to "civilization" post hike.

I am half way there and at the rate I am working i could reach my funding goal by January. i plan to leave in March.

So, do i piss off my one and only source of funding by going on an "un-approved" 10 day hike now and take my chances?
Or, do i "tow the line" and keep working even if it makes me insane?

Anyways, how is everyone doing?

Yes, I have been away for a while.
But i still remember Y'all.
In fact nobody else other than you know of my plans for next year.
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What would you do?

Post by rlown »

Welcome back!

I'd keep the day job as your trip sounds epic once again, but I'd negotiate for a few 4 day trips to keep peace of mind.

Russ
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

You are young.

in this economy, it makes sense to make a short term sacrifice and keep working, so that you can achieve your larger goal.

If you lose your job, you won't get either one done.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

Thanks! You are right of course.

I find myself between worlds my friends; the forest is dark and heavy winds are blowing.

Somehow I came here and found a place of tranquility.

Thanks.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Hetchy,
Everything we do requires compromises. Some would say sacrifices. Focus on the goal of the epic hike. Think about it, plan it, live it in your mind, then DO IT !! But you have to be ready to do it (funding) so you gotta compromise now for the bigger gain later. Just my 2 cents.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I see you are in santa cruz. Just hit the sierra on weekends. I do weekend trips and I live in hemet!
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Work and save your money. The Sierra will always be there for you in the future. Your Colorado trip will surely be a life changing experience, so suffer through the Summer but look forward to a great adventure.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Hetchy,

Nice to hear from you again! See if you can negotiate with your boss to work a
4 day week (10 hrs a days), that will give you 3 whole days off allowing you to
drive to the Sierra and do some short outings, which is better than no Sierra at all.
Also Henry Coe has quite a few multi day hikes available, Point Reyes as some
as does the Ohlone Wilderness, you also have the Skyline to the Sea Trail to hike
locally, and some options up in the Mount Tam area. Be creative, the Bay Area has
so much to offer.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

I feel for you and understand- but like Balzaccom and others suggest- hang in there with the job. We are in very uncertain economic times right now, and staying the course is prudent. So many of the important things in life are a marathon, not a sprint. Don't mean to get all preachy, sorry. But priorities I guess.....I recall there were years where my work (when I was younger and doing construction) kept me out of the mountains until mid-Sept. But there were always ways! OI also remember getting real good at foothill hiking- stuff I could do in a weekend. Anyway hang in there! :nod:
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

Wow, Thanks everyone.

I know i should consider myself lucky to have a job right now.

It is just wierd how these days you either have no work or way too much work.
Right now it is WAY too much work.
Just wish there was more balance to it all.

Great suggestion about Point Reyes, I haven't been there in 25 years.
As i recall you can hike in along the beach and camp up high on a rifge overlooking the ocean.
That might be just the ticket.
Skyline to the sea and back up to Skyline has always been a dream too.
From where i live now i could ride up to the trailhead at Castle Rock and stash my bike in the woods.
Hike down to the coast and back up and ride downhill all the way home.

Yep, those are some great ideas.

I also need to get my packraft situation figured out so I can start shaking it down out on Lexington.
Really want to incorporate a packraft experience into my hike next year along the Mississippi.

I have used cheap inflatable boats before but these Alpaca rafts weigh 3 lbs and can easily be rolled up and lashed to my pack for portage sections.
The investment is also appealing due to the fact that I plan to be packrafting in Alaska in a few years.
Guess i better get the thing ordered up sooner rather than later. :-k

Many Thanks for all the cool suggestions and good will! :D