Trip Advice: Tahoe Region

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scottg1178
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Trip Advice: Tahoe Region

Post by scottg1178 »

Hello,

The family and I are taking a trip up to Tahoe this summer and since we are avid hikers we will be doing plenty of hiking. We are staying in Tahoe Donner where there are numerous small trails that we hike every year but this year we would like to explore some other areas. There are two types of hikes I am looking for: 1) Family Oriented hike (two young children) and 2) one of longer distance with my wife.

Level: Both of us are in great shape and hike on a regular basis

Family Hike (easy-moderate) 4-6 miles round trip.
Adult Hike (easy-strenuous) 7-10 miles round trip

Terain

Trail Hiking
River crossing ok

Main Interest:

Lakes
Creeks
Fishing
Photography

Hiking to or around a lake is a big interest.. A loop would be ideal but not always neccesary. I like to fish so somewhere to throw my pole in would be helpful. I am trying to avoid a long drive to the trailhead so nothing to far out of the way please.

I'm looking in the areas such as South Lake Tahoe, West Lake Tahoe, North Lake Tahoe, Donner, and the Truckee/Tahoe City area.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Scott
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Trip Advice: Tahoe Region

Post by balzaccom »

We have a list of hikes on our website under destinations: a whole section of highway 80 and one on Highway 50. From Tahoe, you can easily access the hikes around DOnner Pass...but I would look at Velma Lake/Eagle Falls. If you drive to Carson Pass you can also enjoy Winnemucca Lake and that area, or Granite Lake...those are shorter.

Poke around the site and you'll find lots of ideas
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Scott,
I would take a look at Five Lakes in Granite Chief Wilderness accessed from the Alpine Meadows area. Farther south are Lake Genevieve, Crag Lake, etc. out of Meeks Bay. There are also a couple of great little lakes in the Emerald Bay area: Eagle Lake from the Eagle Falls TH and Granite form Bayview TH.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

I'm fond of Dardanelles Lake on Luther Pass and as mentioned before Winnemucca Lake off Carson Pass for nice easy hikes.
sierraholic
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierraholic »

I second the hikes off Luther Pass (Dardanelles and Round Lakes) and Carson Pass (Winn. and Round Top Lakes). Also, the various hikes in Desolation Wilderness out of Echo Lakes and Glen Alpine trailheads are awesome (could be crowded; to be expected around Tahoe). Since these are both out and back type trailheads, you can shorten or lengthen your trip to suit your group. You can hit lakes like Ralston or Grass Lake quickly, or trek to Lake of the Woods, Aloha, Susie, Gilmore, etc. for a long adult hike. Have fun!
"Not all who wonder are lost!"