What is most likely to fail?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What is most likely to fail?

Post by sparky »

I have had lots of stuff fail on me, but I don't bring a back up for anything. Well, duct tape, which I do use every now and then. I am almost always solo. When I am in groups, everyone is self contained, so when there is failures, you just borrow.

How about not when something fails, you just flat out forget?! :drool: :drool:
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

I've had more water filter problems than anything else. Never a complete failure, but one got so hard to pump that I gave up on it for the last couple days, another developed a crack in the casing so that as you pumped it sprayed out eh side almost as much as go into the bottle, and the latest was a gravity filter with a bag that started leaking.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

knees :D

Gearwise-- Tents seem to be the item that fails suddenly and spectacularly. Everything else is a slow degeneration that the usual post trip R&R detects.

I have had companions that failed to live up to expectations (chronic whiners, timid, lazy, etc) but that is more likely on my part in selection of a partner.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I too am finding the human aspect fails the most, but I'll call a trip if necessary due to anyone having a problem.

I haven't lost a hip belt or pack strap yet, and I'm sure that would suck large. My Kelty was a little wiggly in the middle of the last trip.. found a bushing that had moved out of place and a pin that should have been there but wasn't.. Starting to check my equipment every other day now when out on the trail.

Tent zippers seem to be a problem if not cleaned regularly, and I dont think my hemo's are strong enough to crip the zipper upon failure.
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

Whatever the failure might be, let's not forget the MVP "fix all" ...... Duct Tape. It has saved my bacon the past two years straight.

- Last year, my sternum strap buckle randomly popped off around Island Pass; never to be seen again. while I keep an extra waist buckle handy, didn't have the smaller one for the sternum. It was a bit of a hassle on/off but the duct tape held very well.

- A couple week s back while hiking the High Sierra Trail, one of my hiking partners sole fell off his shoe about 30 miles in. You got it... Duct Tape. It held great all the way to Whitney Portal.
shoe.jpg
I am sure that I am "preaching to the choir", but I always wrap copious amounts around my hiking poles. In all seriousness it is a pretty darn good fix for a wide variety of failures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I've always felt that if duct tape were applied to exactly the right places, we could achieve world peace. :)

I have also had to hike with my boots encased in duct tape -- made it up to Mt. Williamson and Tyndall the first time that way.