Flower Quest

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fran
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Flower Quest

Post by Fran »

Where are the best places for wildflowers near Mammoth? We always make it to Carson Pass for the spectacular show there, but usually don't go to Mammoth till after Labor Day, between summer and fall, or in October for the aspens. Not much blooming at Sky Meadows or Crater Meadows then. Would love to hear any other suggestions for places in the Bishop and Mammoth areas.

Here's a link to some of the 2012 Carson Pass area bloomage;

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101550319 ... ildflowers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Re: Flower Quest

Post by jessegooddog »

The creekside trail to Emerald Lake in Mammoth usually has lots of flowers, its also very shady. The drive up Rock Creek Road was really pretty a few weeks ago, the side of the road catches a lot of run off. The trail across from the campground at Rock Creek Lodge that goes up to Rock Creek Lake is one of my favorites for flowers - its mostly shady and damp, monkshood towers over your head, lots of lush gardens including shooting stars, altho they may be done now. Its still a lovely hike; Rock Creek widens at one point and looks more like a slowly meandering river. I hiked to Shell and Fantail Lakes (thru the campground right off the Tioga Pass at the beginning of Saddlebag Road) last week and was amazed at the number and variety of wildflowers along the trail and in the meadows. Really beautiful. And Little Lakes Valley I would assume still has lots blooming in the wetter meadows. I was told Lundy Canyon is still in bloom, I have not been there this year.

Your pictures are gorgeous, everything is so green...I have not seen anything quite like that this year. Still, with the low snow year, I have seen more than I expected.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

On July 11, I hiked in 20 Lakes Basin and on July 12 in the canyon above Virginia Lakes. Though not spectacular, there were surprisingly good flower displays in both areas.
In years past following a good winter (like 2008 and 2010), I have seen decent flower displays in September while hiking the Piute Pass trail.
Good luck in your quest.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Fran,
Yes, as the link pointed out, frantastic flowers!
And, although it may already be late for this dry year, the High trail out of Agnew Meadows has gorgeous flowers. I know the campground is closed, but I am unclear on the status of the High trail, so you might call the rangers.
cg
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Great wildflower pictures Fran! The High Trail as CG mentions has a reputation for
having outstanding wildflowers, though this year may not be one of the better years.
A few years ago on this trail was fortunate enough too witness the best wildflower
bloom I have every seen in the Sierra. Meadows full of all kind of varieties, and
carpets of Lupine filling up the entire southern side of the trail hundreds of feet deep.
Just called the Mammoth ranger station, but they have not had any reports of the area
this year, this may because of the blow down or could be a less than average year
in this area for the wildflowers.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Fran
Topix Acquainted

Post by Fran »

Thanks for the suggestions. Will be in Mammoth the week of August 2, and hope there's some color left.
:)