Emigrant Wilderness: Loop trail to Deer Lake from Crabtree?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Emigrant Wilderness: Loop trail to Deer Lake from Crabtree?

Post by rlown »

I hope in addition to your new "toy", you're bringing a real map and you know how to use it.
Ajit
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Ajit »

Yes! I have a real topo map and a compass.

Ajit
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Ajit wrote:I've a friend flying in form rural Georgia and I'd like this to be a great Sierra experience for him.

Thanks.

Ajit
Are you planning to acclimatize at Crabtree the night before the hike? Sometimes, if there is no adjustment from low altitude to a high sierra backpacking trip, it can put a dent in your plans.
Ajit
Topix Novice

Post by Ajit »

That's a good point. My friend from Georgia has had some high altitude experience. However, I'll check with him again about any need for acclimatization for these altitudes. We plan to camp within about 4 miles of Crabtree campground (starting hike at about 2 pm) for the first night. What would be the low temperatures on this trail at this time?
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

Low temps at night will probably be in the 40s. Maybe even in the upper 40s, its been a warm summer. Of course, its the mountains, so its smart to be prepared for temps in the 30s.
toejam
Topix Acquainted

Post by toejam »

I'm thinking camping is not allowed at Camp Lake (but it's a great swimming hole). Anybody else?
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

yea the camping around Camp lake is very limited, no camping near the lake. It's so close to the trailhead I wouldn't bother camping there, might as well have a layover day somewhere on your trip and just hike out instead of the camp lake night.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

toejam wrote:I'm thinking camping is not allowed at Camp Lake (but it's a great swimming hole). Anybody else?

Bear Lake is a mile away, and camping is allowed there. No camping is allowed at Camp Lake...and the trail eastwards from there drops off into the canyon. It's a couple of miles to the next good campsites, as I recall
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Ajit
Topix Novice

Post by Ajit »

Thanks so much for all the tips. I'm now inclined to stick to our original route, perhaps with Wire Lake included on the schedule.

Regards

Ajit