Ebbetts Pass - Reliable Water Source

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rrivera
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ebbetts Pass - Reliable Water Source

Post by rrivera »

I am doing a loop trip from Highland Lakes in Carson Iceberg that meets up with the PCT and then loops to Disaster Creek. I had planned to camp at the headwaters of Murray Canyon but after seeing some of the water conditions over the 4th of July and having been to this area in the past I'm very worried about there being no water. I called the ranger station and they had no information on either water sources around Murray Canyon or the current status of Disaster Creek. Has anyone been to this area recently (I did see a post from a couple of weeks ago) and/or know of know of a reliable water source around this area e.g. Golden Lake Spring?
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Ebbetts Pass - Reliable Water Source

Post by SSSdave »

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=38.47469,-119.73553&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is sure to be running water in the stream below point 9383 east of Arnot Peak as that is a shady north facing basin that holds snow longer. Would just wander upstream from the PCT to about 8420 for a lonely primitive camp spot. Most of that zone is volcanic geology that release water slowly.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rrivera
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rrivera »

Great thanks for the input
kabah088
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by kabah088 »

I would imagine a small trickle will still be present at this time out of higland lakes.