Trip advice: 4 days, west side, for my 14 year old

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip advice: 4 days, west side, for my 14 year old

Post by windknot »

Several of the east-side entry options would provide the best trips in terms of all criteria except driving distance to the trailhead. If you do want to stick to a drive of shorter than 5 hours, LLV, 20 Lakes Basin, and others are ruled out, unfortunately.

I'm a fan of Desolation for non-backpacking related reasons, but I do believe that the west side of the Crystal Range is attractive (at least provides the most wild, alpine scenery for the greater Northern Sierra area).
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Wonderful advice all around.

And the winner is...Windknots's suggestion of Wright's Lake to Doris, with day hikes North and South from there in Desolation. A five mile hike with less than a couple of thousand feet elevation, and all of it close enough to drive and hike there in a day--is just the ticket. My only concern is whether the mosquitoes have tamed down since a July 8 report that said they were a "5" on Rockbound Pass. Any skeeter info that comes in would be welcome--I'd rather cancel or move the trip than turn her into a pincushion for a second time.

I was all set to choose the Lost Lake trip since the more I saw of it the better it looked. But reservations have to be made two weeks in advance, and it is a longer drive and a longer hike. If my daughter has a good experience and wants to go back, Lost Lake will be on top of the list. In fact, even if she doesn't, I think I will find a way to get there in the future.

Twenty Lakes Basin also looks very nice, and quite appropriate. It will be the fallback if Rockbound Pass is reported to be swarming with skeeters.

The other suggestions also look good and will move onto my list for excursions with my daughter, if I'm fortunate enough to convince her to do this regularly.

Many thanks all. I'll give you a report in a coupld of weeks.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Hope you have a great trip! I don't think the mosquitoes would still be bad by the time you go, but I haven't been up there yet so I'm only speculating. I'd definitely try to get first-hand experience from someone in the next few weeks in order to gauge the mosquito levels more accurately.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Just returned from our Doris Lake trip and will post a full report when able. Was a marvelous trip--exactly the right difficulty and the mosquitos mostly cooperated too. Many thanks to all who helped me plan.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by snusmumriken »

kpeter - looking forward to your trip report.

Wildhiker - thanks for your info on Upper Sardine lake. I'm hiking out of Mono/Parker trail head next week and was looking for a good easy first night camp site. Upper Sardine sounds perfect!
arnold
Topix Newbie

5 day backpack from South Lake

Post by arnold »

I plan to do a short 5 day trip from South Lake (near Bishop) in 3 weeks.
Are there are recommendations about:
1. Starting at treasure lakes and x country around to ruwau lake. Would you do this trip east to west or west to east? Which lakes would more deserted with lower use.
2. Anyone have a 7.5 minute map showing best x country route around Hurd Peak?
Thanks
3. After setting up base camp, any recommendations regarding best day hikes?
Thanks