Trip Advice: western Ansel Adams, Bench Canyon, Rockbound La

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Electra
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Advice: western Ansel Adams, Bench Canyon, Rockbound La

Post by Electra »

Get ready for lots of trees down (unless they have cut that area, doubtful though) your first day and please look for my sunglasses which fell off going over or under trees a few weeks ago! :angry: Check the recent topic on western AA wilderness...Water is minimal in creeks but a few were still running and i would suspect will continue to do so for a bit more time. Load up at the creek as you get closer to where the trail veers northeast into the canyon and you can decide if you want to camp on rim or drop to hemlock. On your last day, water is available in the creek near the trail and in the large meadow you pass thru after a few miles. Have fun and don't keep your glasses off your hat during tree sections...
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG
Pietro257
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Pietro257 »

Thanks for the info. It looks like the loop idea wont' work due to the number of fallen trees around Chetwood Cabin. The Clover Meadow ranger says the trail between the Niche and Hemlock Crossing is clear for walkers but not for stock. He also mentioned a water problem. He said I shouldn't rely on good water between Cora Creek and Hemlock Crossing (the San Joaquin).

I plan now to go to Bench Canyon by way of the San Joaquin and come back the same way.

This could be trying little trip!
Pietro257
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Pietro257 »

I posted a report about this trip here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;