Carol Col and Feather Pass question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Carol Col and Feather Pass question

Post by rlown »

Per Mav's post and your comment on pulling out early. You might reconsider what you're trying to accomplish.. The Dog is not your problem, but will complicate an otherwise bad situation. If you're not comfortable with 5 days off trail in the Sierra, you already have a problem. Rethink your trip based on your true capabilities.

Russ
millertime
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by millertime »

Hmm understand and heeding your concern. I'll explain myself a little better here.

One of the times we turned around was because his knee became infected the second morning of the trip, from a small scrape he got a week prior. The other time we had to turn around was because of a heavy swarm in McGee Canyon that we were not at all prepared for, and even if we were I dont see how it would have been enjoyable, people who were prepared and had nets were heading back down after 1 night.

I am in good shape, great cardio, and my friend is in excellent shape, probably the top % of people.

We have tackled multiple class 2 ascents, including Horsetail Falls -> Pyramid Peak via its east face couloir which according to summit post is class 2-3 which was nothing to scoff at, but I could have done more.
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=2629758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.summitpost.org/horsetail-fal ... oir/157482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also I mentioned this in my OP, Island Lake > Lake Sylva via Mt Price which if you haven't done is cross-country and considered class 2 for a short section on the .
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1062311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have also done numerous class 2 climbs in the Trinity Alps and class 2 day-hikes around Tahoe; which I know is by no means "high sierra" but I guess I felt like I had enough experience to take this on.

While they should be taken seriously, Italy and Dancing Bear passes don't seem like too big of a challenge but I see what you mean in that all 4 add up. I also have a hard time believing that we would have any trouble with Carol. From what I have seen in pictures and read in descriptions of the passes it doesn't seem to be above what we can do, but seeing and reading about something is different than actually doing it. From what I've explained here what do you guys think? Am I over ambitious? I sure don't feel like it! I could go back to my original plan in attempting it from Pine Creek, see how I feel once I'm in Bear Lakes Basin and then I have a much shorter route back if we don't want to attempt Feather. And if we did have the energy we could make it a partial loop, crossing Feather and taking French Canyon back up to Pine Creek Pass.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

k.. Does he need to bring the dog? I only ask because I know that adds to the trip if he has to look after it all the time.
millertime
Topix Acquainted

Post by millertime »

Your probably right, it would be better to do something shorter like 4 days 3 nights 2 passes with the dog before jumping into 5 days 5 nights half of which is cross country with 4 passes.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

so.. shorter.. you can do 4 days in Humpreys with dog and be happy.. You don't have to jump over the ridge.

There are nice goldens right there off the SW side of Deso. And the Brookies out of Tomahawk.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I looked at your route map and noticed what appears to be just a 4 night 5 day trip? Rather ambitious long mileage with considerable offtrail in talus. And dogs do not generally do well in talus because they are not monkeys. That route covers enough territory for three 5-day or longer separate backpack trips. Places worth stopping at to explore and enjoy instead of spending most daylight hours beating one's way down some route. Places where experts could easily spend a week plus in each exploring new exciting areas each day with several climbing possibilities for peak baggers. And all those basins have good fishing secrets off everyones public radar including boards like this if one bothers to explore instead of just rambling through quickly.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I would suggest keeping your start at North Lake, and playing it by ear as you go. If you find yourselves cruising over Carol col in short order and flying into Granite park in good time, then go for it. But keep in mind that those first two days are the easy part, especially for the pooch, because of the talus on the way from Italy Pass to the Bear Lakes.

Personally, I'd rather spend more time exploring the lakes in Humphreys basin and at the head of French canyon and going to Royce Lakes (a very cool spot) and Merriam from French Canyon, than going over to the Bears via Dancing Bear. I think that would be just plain more fun than the route you have laid out. I'd come back by way of the confluence of French Canyon and Piute creek to make a nice loop. Or you could do it the other way, so the Carol Col crossing happens when your packs are lighter and you are more acclimatized.
millertime
Topix Acquainted

Post by millertime »

I don't plan to do the original route at all anymore, seems pretty silly now. I do still plan to start at North Lake, and have been playing with the Humphrey's, French and Royce area. I would really like to make it to Royce, if I did I would probably spend two nights in Humphrey's, having camp close to Carol Col on the 2nd night and assuming we felt good descend it the morning of the 3rd day, making camp at French Lake or if we felt good blow by French and make it to Royce for the 3rd night. 4th day we would take French Canyon and Piute Creek back as far as we wanted, 5th day head back down Piute Pass. If we ended up staying at French we would make it back down Piute the 6th day. I think that plan leaves plenty of options open to still enjoy our time if we aren't feeling up to something at any point. Thoughts?

EDIT: That would probably be a better plan without the dog still, if we take the dog maybe just hang around Humphreys for a few nights, bagging Four Gables and maybe venture to the southern side of Piute Creek for a night or two. We would need to KNOW that the dog could handle that much time on the trail before taking it on a 5-6 day trek, even if days 2-4 are short mileage.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That sounds like a much more enjoyable trip were everyone can enjoy there
beautiful surroundings and let is soak in. Agree that your edit option is much
better for doggie if you decide to do that option, because if you wanted to
zoom by French Lake and go up to Royce the doggie may not be able to keep up.
If you stayed in Humphreys Basin and basecamped there is plenty to do and see.
Packsaddle Lake, Golden Trout Lakes, Wahoo Lakes, Goethe Lake, and all the
other lakes beneath the Glacier Divide are all worth visiting.
A fantastic peak to bag is Pilot Knob (class 2) that has a grand view, it sits right
at corner of Piute Canyon and French Canyon with outstanding views of the Glacier
Divide, The Pinnacles, Gemini, Merriam Peak, and many other peaks far beyond.

Edit: Checkout a recent post with pictures to Royce Lake, it will wet you appetite:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7998&p=58054#p58054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
lunarlab
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by lunarlab »

A few years ago, I did a 6-day loop with 1 other person and a golden retriever. We did Pine Creek>Granite Park>Italy Pass>Bear Creeks (day hike to Vee Lake)>Feather Pass>Merriam Lake>French Canyon>Pine Creek. Golden's are not the most agile dogs, but our dog did not have any problem up Feather Pass, except for 1 chest high ledge I had to lift her over.