Trip Report - June Lake area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Trip Report - June Lake area

Post by Herm »

My wife and I just returned from a car camping trip to June Lake, where we stayed Tuesday 7/10 through Saturday 7/14. Weather was warm and dry for the most part, with the only moisture encountered being the heavy dew that covered our tent on Saturday morning. There was much "threatening" looking weather to the east in Nevada, and a few thunderheads that built over the Sierra, but no rain - lots of wind. There were mosquitos, but they were not bad enough to bother with repellent - only a few bites.
On Wednesday 7/11, we drove up Tioga Pass to Saddlebag Lake, and dayhiked around the west shore of the lake and into 20 Lakes Basin. This being our first excursion in the area, we found it to be most excellent. There were many good flower displays in spite of the low snowfall from last winter, and the basin is stunningly beautiful with colorful metamorphic rocks juxtaposed against the granodiorite of the Sierra Nevada. We did not complete the loop, but instead explored some of the side basins around Steelhead Lake, and did some easy cross country travel, while wearing sandals. Our day was completed with a dinner stop at Whoa Nellie Deli.
On Thursday 7/12, we drove up Conway Summit and turned west up the Virginia Lakes drainage. From the trailhead parking at Virginia Lake, we hiked up the canyon to the last bench before the pass, then enjoyed snacks and the view, before descending back to the trailhead. Again, there were good displays of wildflowers, and we enjoyed a very pleasant hike.
On both days, I tried a little fishing, with no success - beats work though. There were fish visible, just no takers for the enticements that I offered.
Friday 7/13 was a lazy day that was spent around our camp at Oh! Ridge, with a dip in June Lake to cool off. Enjoyed some good food with cold beers.
Saturday 7/14 was spent on the long drive home.
Thanks for reading.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Re: Trip Report - June Lake area

Post by hikerchick395 »

I was hiking out of Saddlebag Lake on Wednesday, too! Purdy day in the basin...

Most mosquitos there that I've seen so far this summer.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

HC395;
It sure was purdy! I wonder if we crossed paths that day. It seemed there were a lot of hikers out, but at the same time seemed like we were the only people around. This is a place that I would love to return, especially after a decent winter - the willdflower displays must be impressive, based on what we saw.
Cheers,
Herm
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Herm,

Sounds like a excellent trip, to bad you did not post any picture, especially some
wildflowers ones after that tease. :)
20 Lakes Basin is beautiful with a lot of pretty little lakes, especially the emerald ones
under Mt Conness (Conness Lakes), and the pretty water falls on the way to them, though
it is probably not be very impressive this year. Oh, and some good fishing up there too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

My wife has the good flower photos on her camera, and as soon as she makes them available, I will end the tease.
There was at least two little ribbon falls spilling down from the Conness Lakes, but we did not hike up - both of us wore sandals, and by the end of the day, my wife had some issues with her feet. Mine were fine, just a little sore. I saw plenty of fish, but put forth little effort to get them. Maybe next time.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

For those interested, here is a link to our photos on SmugMug
http://cdandherm.smugmug.com/Sierra-Nev ... &k=SSCKwrb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enjoy!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Herm for the photo's, they were worth the wait, beautiful. No too bad for a dry year.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nice trip, Herm.. I loved the umbrellas behind you in the pics... :p
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Hey Russ;
Like a day at the beach - we use them to shade the bear box, and it was hot! Right now looking into buying a proper shelter for such situations.
Inspires me to get out there this September. If I can be away from work (unknown right now), then the week of the 2nd - 9th is my window, and likely solo.
Cheers,
Herm
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

friggn hot up there on the west side last week... hotter than home.

My window is 9/15 for a week up Piute. Hope you score big..

Russ