267' horizontal feet from the summit of Independence Peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

267' horizontal feet from the summit of Independence Peak

Post by Snow Nymph »

Sunday, 23 July 2006
Independence Peak (11,744') solo dayclimb

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/album/552505905oWVTpX

Dayclimbed Independence Peak (almost) from Onion Valley, via the Robinson Creek Trail. I was 490' from the summit when I got to the ridge. I turned back 267' from the summit. The class 3 section was a little too much for me to do alone, and after a phone call turned back.
Last edited by Snow Nymph on Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Great pics, as usual ! Yeah, I've turned back a few hundred feet from a peak myself. Weather was threating. It's just not worth the risk sometimes. You gotta know your limits.
One question, though. How can you be so accurate on elevation (267' from the peak)? How did you measure it ?
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

That summit area can be intimidating. I climbed it in 1972 with my dad in the pre-Secor days (I recall the climbers guide simply said class 2-3 from Robinson Lake) and ended doing the final approach via the north ridge (now rated class 4) instead of the south. I remembered this airy ledge that ran across the west face that made me ask my dad to pull the rope out of the rucksack and give me a belay (which he did, of course).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Tom, I'm not sure about 267', I got that number from my GPS. I set a waypoint on the summit, so I could have been off. I really hate turning back, but being alone and tired, I think I was more worried about getting down and didn't want to get myself any deeper than I was. I was feeling a little wimpy and called Trailtrekker, thinking maybe there was a way around what I was doing. She told me they didn't make it either, so I felt better (relieved) about turning back.

GB, I think I would have done better if I had someone to talk to as I was doing it. Kinda weird being alone when the next move looks risky. And especially watching the boulder slide from under me and roll over the cliff. It helped to talk on the phone, even if just for a few minutes.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Good job snowy, probably a wise decision to come down when that inner voice says to, Looks like you did some formidable scrambling.
The next time you go for that one I would like to tag along.

PS: Are you or anyone else on the board going to be trying Powell with the Sierra Challenge bunch next Sunday?
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I'm doing Powell. Are you? I would be more comfortable with a partner. I'm planning to start early.

I will probably do an alternate peak the next day. Giraud looks like a little too much for me in a day.

ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

I am thinking about it, I will get monday off, trail bud wants to go up Fri and possibly camp around Blue or Donkey lakes. I would rather start from the trailhead early. Ill email you.
pcase
Topix Novice

Post by pcase »

Hi Snowy,

Nice pics. Sounds like you did the right thing. Instinct is everything...and the view would not have improved that much...1 more register here or there is no big deal.

I saw that someone took a spill on Brewer recently and it reminded me that solo peak bagging is highly risky.

Anyways thanx for the trip report.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I'm not crazy about going solo. I've had a few close calls.

I might give it another try this weekend.

revhobo
Topix Acquainted

Post by revhobo »

Good decision, Snow Nymph. If the gut tells you to turn around, do it.

BTW, I loved your lunch box! It looks like we pack the same stuff (except I pack more :D). Hey, where is chocolate? No chocolate? Image

:unibrow: