Several Unnamed Passes Dorothy Lake to Peeler Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Several Unnamed Passes Dorothy Lake to Peeler Lake

Post by Tom_H »

The following TR I posted recently describes several XC passes on a multi-day off trail trek from Dorothy Lake to Peeler Lake. Sorry, no digital cameras when done in 1985. Included sections are:

1. Pass from Lake Helen to Tower Lake

2. Contour/compass terrain following walk from Tower Lake to unnamed major upper tributary to West Walker River (between West Walker River and Kirkwood Creek).

3. Pass from upper end of that canyon into source of a stream that enters NW corner of the 1.6 mi. long meadow of Thompson Canyon.

4. Saddle Pass on ridge between Acker Peak and Center Mountain, connecting Rancheria Creek with upper Kerrick Meadow.

5. Also mentioned is a ridgetop saddle pass across the ridge to the north of Cirque Mtn. (between Cirque Mtn. and Hunewell Peak) from the south fork of Buckeye Creek to Robinson Creek. A pre-WWII trail is shown on the 15 min.USGS topo and not on the 7.5 min. USGS topo. East side of this pass is large unstable boulders overgrown with manzanita, trail not at all discernible, and should be avoided.

Link to TR: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Re: Several Unnamed Passes Dorothy Lake to Peeler Lake

Post by copeg »

Hi Tom, I had to move this post from the Cross country passes section as per the forum guidelines. We are tightly moderating that forum section to keep posts in a particular format, and containing specific information about passes. If you do have the time, then I encourage you to post according to the forum rules the descriptions of these passes.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Greg,

I sent you a PM, but you haven't replied. Thanks for the understanding and polite manner in which you notified me about the move. I saw the request for info. on passes, but did not see the list of rules, and thus posted. In that the post got moved to the same forum as my original TR, I feel that this second thread in the same forum is redundant and unnecessary. My PM requested that you simply delete this entire thread. I tried to delete the OP in this thread, but the program would not allow it.

Thanks,
Tom Harrison (not the map guy)
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

The "Cross Country Passes" section is very well hidden on this site. It is hard to find, unless you start your browsing from the "Board Index" and even then it is hard to find. I suggest this section be moved to the "Backpacking" section, where it would reside as one of the "fixed" topics near the top of the page.

Mike