Reds/Agnew Meadows Conditions since the big blowdown

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
deej
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Reds/Agnew Meadows Conditions since the big blowdown

Post by deej »

If anyone has any information regarding the conditions of the trails out of these meadows, please share. Most especially those for Minaret Lakes, Shadow, Ediza, Iceberg, Beck, etc. I'm curious as to what it's looking like since all those trees were blown down. Thanks.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Reds/Agnew Meadows Conditions since the big blowdown

Post by gary c. »

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 370647.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
mbear
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbear »

Hmmm, so exiting Agnew Meadows to catch the bus into Mammoth Lakes for resupply looks out of the question. Red's Meadow it is then. Thanks gary for posting that, as I was initially planning on exiting and re-entering at Angew Meadows for a food reup.

So with Agnew Meadows closed to all public entry, I guess that means no taking the PCT between Summit Lake and Devils Postpile, since it seems to pass through it?
shoenberg3
Topix Novice

Post by shoenberg3 »

I must admit I am quite confused. What would be shortest approach to Garnet Lake in this case?
This map (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 367030.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)suggest that the trails around Agnew Meadow have been cleared but the campground itself remain closed. Is there a way to gain access to the trails without entering the campground?

I am not sure if I want to take the longer approach from Silver Lake...
mbear
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbear »

I think I must be the one confused and wrong in that post then. I'll just call the Inyo NF tomorrow and see whether one can still enter/exit there.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

My understand is that the trails in blue are cleared and accessable. It's the Andrews Meadow campground that are to remain closed.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
mbear
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbear »

I just called the Inyo NF and once speaking to a person, they said the trailheads at Agnew Meadows are open and that the shuttle is making stops there. The recording you get to when following the menu to check trail conditions was out of date though, as it claimed the road through Red's was still closed.
shoenberg3
Topix Novice

Post by shoenberg3 »

Great to hear. If I enter the park before 7am, where can I park to start out on Agnew meadows TH?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Shoenberg3 wrote:
If I enter the park before 7am, where can I park to start out on Agnew meadows TH?
At Agnew Meadows Parking lot which is past the pack station on the dirt road before the
campgrounds which are further down but closed for 2012 because of the damage. There
are bear boxes available.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ebin
Topix Newbie

Post by Ebin »

Are the trails from Agnew Meadows to Shadow and Ediza Lakes clear? We're planning an early September trip.