Tablelands via Lakes trail. 6/29-7/1

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
leafmold27
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Tablelands via Lakes trail. 6/29-7/1

Post by leafmold27 »

This is my first TR and first time out this year. Me and 4 buddies planned to reach moose lake on the 29th of June. We got a late start and were not trail ready physically. We ended up staying over at emerald lake, which was fine by us. Poked around a bit then had a late dinner and racked out. Woke early and judging how our bodies were feeling realized we should have started with something a little milder. We made our way to pear lake. What beautiful country.
DSCN2714 (640x480).jpg
As we arrived pear the brookies were rising to the prolific skeeter hatch. We got lines out rather quickly and began getting the little guys with all kinds of lures.
DSCN2752 (640x480).jpg
I got my first fish on my new fly rod. I was stoked. We had some chow then took off for a day trip up too moose. That was one awesome hike. After some huffing and puffing and passing several lakes and ponds
DSCN2728 (640x480).jpg
we reached our objective.
DSCN2732 (640x480).jpg
We returned to camp at pear lake for some more fishing fun. Ate dinner racked out and took off down the trail early Sunday morning. The weather was great, the skeeters were horrid and we got some good exercise. Overall a great trip. Gonna do Evolution valley 7/20-7/22 and we cant wait. We are all new to backcountry hiking and this one trip opened our eyes wide. We cant stop thinking about getting back out there. looking forward to posting another TR. Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Re: Tablelands via Lakes trail. 6/29-7/1

Post by quentinc »

Thanks for the report. I found Moose Lake to be really beautiful too.
You'll love Evolution Basin, but based on your leisurely pace on this trip, allowing only 3 days for it would really be pushing things.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

3 days is not enough to reach and return from Evolution Valley unless one is a trail runner.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report and pictures! I'm looking forward to visiting this area for the first time in September.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Leaf,

Thanks for taking the time to write up your first TR, one of many we hope.
As others mentioned 3 nights to Evo Valley is way to short, even if you were in great
condition!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I've been able to hike from North Lake, over Lamarck Col, to Evolution Lake in a (very long) day, and I'm slow (but persistent). Still, that's equivalent to many hikes back and forth to Emerald Lake. And certainly, if it's your first trip to Evolution Basin, you'll want way more time.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Q wrote:
I've been able to hike from North Lake, over Lamarck Col, to Evolution Lake in a
(very long) day, and I'm slow (but persistent). Still, that's equivalent to many hikes
back and forth to Emerald Lake. And certainly, if it's your first trip to Evolution
Basin, you'll want way more time.

Yes, but the OP could only get as far as Emerald Lake which ain't very far, and going
over LC is a little more difficult and involved than hiking up the trail from Wolverton.
I too have done the North-South Lake Loop via LC in two nights, but would not recommend
doing it to anyone else unless knowing there abilities, which we really do not know
anything about except from what we can deduce from this TR that the OP posted
which was:
Leafmold27 wrote:
Gonna do Evolution valley 7/20-7/22 and we cant wait. We are all new to backcountry
hiking
and this one trip opened our eyes wide.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
leafmold27
Topix Novice

Post by leafmold27 »

Good points everyone. What i should have said was heading up towards E. valley. We will go as far as our bodies will allow. Not sure what that stretch of trail is referred to. Also does anyone have info on the Florence lake ferry or camping around the 8-10 mile area up that trail. We will have 7 heads in our group. Will the sites at Piute creek meet the space of 5 tents. So where should my group go beginning to mid august. Our range would be SEKI to Yosemite. A 2 nighter. Thanks for the insight.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Leaf,

You need to start another thread inquiring about that new area.
Also please read before requesting info: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Thanks