TR: Onion Valley - Kearsarge to Sawmill

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Onion Valley - Kearsarge to Sawmill

Post by cgundersen »

Q and LMB,
I've not been on Kearsarge or Cottonwood in ~3 years, so I assume the new & improved is very recent? I must say, I really liked the job the crew did on the Pine Creek trail a few years back, and my last time over Forester there was a crew fixing the North side big time (it needed it). But, I was stunned to see stupid, new loops on Island(!!!) Pass. Still, if you want to avoid switchbacks, try Taboose. There were a few more than I recalled from my only other visit, but whatever the last crew did to that trail was not for the better. Still, it leads to gorgeous country and sees very little action!
cg
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hobbes wrote:
Question for Kathy, Mav and others: which of the big 3 (Baxter, Sawmill & Taboose)
would you prefer to exit if you went in via Kearsarge?
Well let see, from the JMT to the top each pass is: Taboose 3.6 miles/565 ft, Sawmill
3.9 miles/1001 ft, Baxter 5.7 miles/2100 ft.
Taboose has great views east and especially west back towards the Bench Lake area.
Staying at Bench Lake is worth the climb over Taboose any day, plus the flowers
near the top of the passes western side is outstanding (in a good year) and you have
Striped Mountain Basin to the south of the Taboose trail which is quite pretty too.
Sawmill is more elevation gain but you have the beautiful Wood Lakes between the
JMT and the pass, also less of a grueling ride out from the trailhead on the eastern
side.
Baxter is okay but no where as pretty as the other two, and the trail is a little hard
to follow in sections.
If conditioning is not an issue, and rough, rocky trails do not bother you, than go with
Taboose (best scenery), otherwise Sawmill is your answer.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Hobbes wrote:Question for Kathy, Mav and others: which of the big 3 (Baxter, Sawmill & Taboose) would you prefer to exit if you went in via Kearsarge?

My thoughts are with reference not only to scenery (ie isn't Baxter burned out?), but also ease of shuttling between THs.
I've never gone all the way over Baxter. I've been up to just under the pass a couple of times in the spring/early summer to base camp and climb Mary Austin and Diamond Peak. It's a really beautiful area when there's still snow on the ground. I'm sure in the middle of the summer it's probably dry and dusty due to the fire damage once you get down to under 10,000'. Someday I might go over Baxter Pass if I decide to go that route to climb Mount Baxter. I don't think I'd choose Baxter Pass to come out from the JMT.

Sawmill Pass: This one has to be timed correctly. The trailhead is at about 4500'; so if you're coming out via that route you want to hit the bottom section either at the end of the day when it is in the shade or in the dark. Also, unless you get a really cool day, if you decide to go up that trail you'll need to start either before dawn in the dark or at the end of the day/at night. Otherwise, the heat will just be terrible. The Sawmill Pass Trail fades in and out between the JMT and Sawmill Pass; so you have to keep your eyes open to find it again when you lose it.

Taboose Pass: This one is better to go up than down. Once again, a low elevation trailhead but not as low as Sawmill. Timing is important on this one too - try not to be at the trailhead at the hottest part of the day. The trail has a lot of rubble on it and it's a tough coming down in that crap - a lot of the rubble has been placed there by trail maintenance people and it's likely to do with making it easier for stock, not humans. At the same time, it's probably faster to come out via Taboose than Sawmill or Baxter. It's only 8 miles from Taboose Pass to the trailhead.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

cgunderson:

The trail crew was rerouting the west side of the trail down from Kearsarge when I went over in 2007. The switchbacks are now much longer and more gradual and it seems rather obvious it was done for stock not to erode the trail as much. I suspect it adds about a quarter mile of additional hiking from the old route. Also, the trail off to Kearsarge Lakes was rerouted sometime after that and takes a less direct route down to the lakes.

I went over Taboose both directions once - yes it's a gorgeous trail, especially near the top. At my age (61) I doubt I'll do it again since 6,000 feet of climbing is not something I want to do anymore. Also, I don't think I want to take my Prius V up that road.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
jackie_s
Topix Novice

Post by jackie_s »

KathyW wrote:If anyone is looking to do a solo shuttle trip, I want to let you know that Paul at East Side Sierra Shuttle gave me my ride from Sawmill Pass Trailhead to Onion Valley - it worked out great. His contact info is: http://eastsidesierrashuttle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kathy, he gave us a ride from Baxter to Kearsarge on 7/5/12. He was a really cool guy and most interesting. He has a lot of knowledge of the area and good advice that helped us out. I'll definitely use his services next time.
jackie_s
Topix Novice

Post by jackie_s »

Hobbes wrote:Question for Kathy, Mav and others: which of the big 3 (Baxter, Sawmill & Taboose) would you prefer to exit if you went in via Kearsarge?

My thoughts are with reference not only to scenery (ie isn't Baxter burned out?), but also ease of shuttling between THs.
Hobbes,

I just got back from going up Kearsarge and out Baxter 7/5-7/7. I thought Baxter was beautiful (although I can't compare them to Taboose or Sawmill as I haven't visited either, yet). Some say it's not very interesting but I thought it was magnificent! The trail is hard to find at times but there are plenty of cairns to help you out with that. I think only the campground area by the parking lot and trailhead was affected by the fire. And we were lucky enough to see the Bighorns!! I vote for Baxter...

-Jackie