Trip Advise - Crabtree Camp Trail or Gianelli Cabin to Deer

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grains
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Trip Advise - Crabtree Camp Trail or Gianelli Cabin to Deer

Post by grains »

Hi All, We are planning a trip to Deer Lake or a lake in that area in early to Mid August, I have some experience as well as my 18 year old son. Level 2. We are looking for nice lakes with good fishing and swimming and granite jumps into lakes. Wife and 16 year old have never been backpacking. What trail head would you all recommend, I have read the CrabTree first 6 miles or so is very dry and dusty? Are there any good camp sites on the way to the Deer lake area (which trail would have the best midway camp sites). We will split this hike into 2 nights to get to Deer Lake I believe. Any other tips would be much appreciated or any other areas, I just want to be sure this is not to tough for my wife. Also how do you think the mosquito's will be by then? Will we need head nets? Does this area have a bear problem? Sorry for so many questions but just trying to cover my bases, any info is greatly appreciated and thank you very much in advance!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advise - Crabtree Camp Trail or Gianelli Cabin to Deer

Post by maverick »

Hi Grains,

Welcome to HST! See if this helps: http://www.sonorapassvacations.com/hike ... _hike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
grains
Topix Newbie

Post by grains »

Thank you Maverick, I did find the web site you provided, sonorapassvacations. Also I have the Sierra North book. Just looking for some personal experiences with this hike and which route would be best for camping area halfway to Deer lake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I have read somewhere that Chewing Gum Lake is a nice lake to camp at.
Also that the Gianelli TH is better to start from since it is higher in elevation than CCT.
From the map it looks like there are no lakes at or near the half way point from the
Gianell TH unless you were fine with Cherry Creek, or out of CCT you have Piute Lake
or Piute Creek.
Found this TR which will give you pictures of Piute Lake and Deer Lake.
http://www.kevingong.com/Hiking/Emigran ... ness2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Post by no2haven »

I'd think there are some nice spots at Piute Lake or in the meadow, especially once the mosquitoes die down. In June when I went by there was a large group camped on the S side of the lake. The first 6ish miles out of Crabtree aren't anything to write home about compared to the rest of the Sierra, but they're not awful - just a bit boring and in the forest most of the time. There are a few nice viewpoints as you cross the various ridges. I don't know that its going to be any more dusty than the rest of the Sierra, considering how last winter went.

If you go that way, keep an eye out for the trail once you cross Piute Creek (which, confusingly, isn't near Piute lake/meadows). The trail splits at the edge of a granite patch and the fork that goes directly to Piute Lake isn't the most obvious thing in the world. I missed it and ended up on the parallel trail that ends up in Pine Valley. Not a big deal since you can reconnect at Gem Lake, but if you turn south at all after the crossing (ie, start heading downstream) you're not on the the right trail.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I like the Gianelli trailhead due to the views you get on the way. If you are going to Deer Lake, there are a couple nice lakes along the way if you are willing to sidetrack a bit. Y Meadow Lake is about a half mile or so off the main drag - nice lake: Toejam Lake is about a mile and a quarter or so off the main drag - very nice little lake.

Various other spots you could camp,anywhere you hit a creek you could find a spot pretty easy, but not as nice as those lakes. I'd suggest Y Meadow Lake - that would make the first day a little shorter than the second day, probably a good idea at the start of the trip.

I'm going the same area starting tomorrow, so when I get back I can give you an update on bugs as of now - they will decrease from now til August.