Sixty Lake Basin TR 6/24-6/28

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by hikerdmb »

I did a solo trip into Sixty Lake Basin. The trip was 5 days, June 24-28, 2012. Saw lots of PCT hikers along the way. Bugs got worse each night of the trip.
Day 1 - Drive from San Diego to Onion Valley trailhead, hike to Flower Lake.
Day 2 - Flower Lake to Kearsarge Pass, to JMT north to Glen Pass, to Rae Lakes.
Day 3 - Rae Lakes over unnamed pass to Sixty Lake Basin, explored the basin.
Day 4 - Sixty Lake Basin north to Basin Notch, down to Arrowhead Lake. South on JMT to the lake basin just north of Glen Pass.
Day 5 - Lake basin north of Glen Pass, over Glen Pass, down and back up over Kearsarge Pass, down to Onion Valley trailhead, and drive to San Diego.

This was my first time into the Rae Lakes area and Sixty Lake Basin. It is a beautiful area!!!

You can view my photos through this link.
https://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdmb/S ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sixty Lake Basin TR 6/24-6/28

Post by maverick »

Pretty pictures from a great area. Thanks for taking the time to post this TR Hikerdmb.
Were there a lot of backpackers (Rae Lakes Loop/JMT) at Rae Lakes?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

I only ran into a few people doing the Rae Lakes Loop. But each day I met 5-6 PCT thru hikers. A very interesting group from early 20's to 60+ years old. At my camp at Rae Lakes I could hear a few people on the ranger hut side of the lake but did not see anyone in the 12+ hours I was there. In Sixty Lake Basin there was a group of 7 park service workers setting gill nets and trying to save the Mountain Yellow Legged Frog. I saw one other hiker in the basin while I was there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

which lakes were they netting? They might be re-netting, but i'm still curious if this was planned and announced. Still a nice report.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Great report and pictures, thanks for posting.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great photo journal, thanks for sharing your report!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

First, congrats to Windknot for hitting 1000 posts!
Second, thanks Dave for the great photos; I'd forgotten the knifedge on Glen since it's been a while since I went over there sans snow. But, even in this low snow year, there was still a little left. Great for chilled beverages...
cg
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for posting your pxts Dave. Looks like a great camp at lake 11,200 on the north side of Glen Pass.
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

They were cleaning and repairing the nets left in the lakes over winter and setting additional nets in the same lakes. I saw nets in the first lakes you come to when you drop down into Sixty Lake Basin from the trail that comes up from the Rae Lakes, southwest of Fin Dome. They were working in the six lakes and several ponds in the center of the basin west of Fin Dome. They said they were in year 3 of this effort to save the frog and get rid of non-native fish. Once I was down in the lower part of the basin, west of Arrowhead Lake, I did not see any more nets.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Thanks for the update. For fish removal, they tend to start with the higher lakes in a basin. Easier to defend against upstream fish with a natural barrier.

I still find it unnerving to see the nets, but i guess froggie needs a place to thrive as well.

Russ