Ansel Adams-Shadow Lake condtions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mikehike
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Ansel Adams-Shadow Lake condtions

Post by mikehike »

Has anyone ventured bye shadow lake in the last week or so?
I was curious how bad the mosquitos were and the stream crossings or any Bear Issues...
streamer
Topix Novice

Post by streamer »

Just returned from Garnet and Thousand Island area. Mosquitos weren't bad. Couldn't cross the river to go up to Garnet, had to hit it from the north. Heard the crossing was fine (bridge) at Shadow. No bear sign, except for a tuna package that had gone through Mr. Bear. Lots of weather - rain, hail, t-storms, etc. all week. Took the river trail in and the PCT out from Agnew meadows. Definitely recommend the PCT at least one way. The views, as well as the flowers, are outstanding!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Streamer, I was reading trail conditons on the FS site around Mammoth earlier. I'm headed further south come Friday or Sat. if I can't change my reservations, about where is the snow level? Spotty? Depend on north/south aspect? Silver Pass is about the center for where I have my trip planned. Not too worried, take it as I can.
Piece of cake.
streamer
Topix Novice

Post by streamer »

Hikerduane - Snow conditions were spotty. We kept between Garnet and Davis Lakes. At Island Pass (10200'), we found only a few patches of snow. Lower Davis Lake (9954') was clear, upper (10267') was frozen over, except for the outlet. North slope lakes though. Exposed trails were fine. With the hot weather and recent rains, snow is disappearing quickly!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you. Looks like I have a pack weight under 30 lbs. with 1/2 gal water even for a 8 day trip. Woohoo!
Piece of cake.
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

We want a trip report when you get back duane! :)
I'm heading that same way at the end of Aug.
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
mikehike
Topix Regular

Post by mikehike »

Just heard the Bugs (mozzy) in Ansel Adams were in Full bloom, anyone else experience that? If you have please post...
dreamer
Topix Newbie

Post by dreamer »

Yes, please let us know about the bugs. A friend of mine just got back from the Buena Vista Lake area and said the bugs were HORRIBLE! I'm taking my daughter on her first trip; we'll be camping at Shadow Lake and then I hope to get her to dayhike to places like Ediza Lake and hopefully up as far as Island Pass (one of my favorite spots -- beautiful!). I'll be anxious to hear how it is in Aug.
Zoltan
Topix Acquainted

Post by Zoltan »

I was in Ansel Adams (from Donahue Pass to Agnew Meadows) from July 17-23 and I can tell you that above 10,500 ft. it is a water wonderland up there. Of course this means a lot of soggy ground and a lot of mosquitoes. I was not bothered nearly as much as I expected.....and I sleep under a tarp! There was a lot of stormy weather which kept them down some, but outside of the boggy areas and river bottoms (particularly between Ediza and Shadow Lakes), they weren't bad. I tried to camp a little higher than usual to catch a breeze and this seemed to work fine.

Zoltan