Seeking Input on The High Sierra Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trent
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Seeking Input on The High Sierra Trail

Post by Trent »

Your intinerary is just about perfect. I've "done" this trek twice, going again this August. Two bits of advice,,,, take lots of "Deet" [or go in mid/late August when the mosquitos are gone], and consider adding a day and camping the last night on the top of Whitney.

Glad to see that you're not making the mistake I've seen other do,,, 1st day to Bear Paw, 2nd day to Big Arroyo Junction. That's the easiest way to get AMS [Acute Mountain Sickness] that I know of.

T.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

If you are really willing to detour for great campsites, and not wedded to walking every single mile of the official HST, I suggest starting at Wolverton and hiking up to Panther Gap, then over to camp at Alta Meadow on the first day. On the second, backtrack from Alta Meadow to Mehrten Creek and down the connector to the HST and then continue to Hamilton Lake as you planned.

Views on the trail from Panther Gap to Alta Meadow are awesome. There are great campsites just as you arrive at Alta Meadow in open forest to the right. I tried to attach a sunset photo of the Great Western Divide from Alta Meadow, but I don't think it made it. [It's just not intuitive to me how you attach photos to these posts - if anyone has a link to a cookbook, please send it.]

The only fly in this ointment is that you either have to hike up from Lodgepole to Wolverton, or the shuttle bus can drop you on the Wolverton road as it leaves the General Sherman tree area, but you still have to walk about a mile on the road to the Wolverton trailhead.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

The year we did it, they were doing "controlled burns" in Sequoia, and the views along that stretch reminded me of downtown Los Angeles. Hopefully you'll have better luck!
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

Wildhiker - would my permit need to be modified to take your suggested route?

Quentinc - Hopefully I will be able to grab a few views that top downtown LA :crybaby:
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

I agree that the trail from Wolverton to Panther Gap is much more scenic than the first part of the HST. The HST is pleasant, though, and gives you enough glimpses of the scenery to come to keep it interesting. I've camped near the bear box at Mehrten Creek and there is a nice view from there and it's also enjoyable to sit near the cascades. Crowded, though.

I didn't find Big Arroyo Junction, Junction Meadow or Crabtree Meadow particularly interesting. We camped before Big Arroyo, along the river which was very nice. Junction Meadow is just a large, flat spot in the forest with a bunch of established campsites. It's a long climb from there up to the JMT, so could be a convenient stopping spot.

Moraine Lake is nice, but has a bear box and designated sites and one communal fire ring where you will likely camp near others.

One thing to consider is camping the last night at Guitar Lake and hiking up to Whitney and out the next day. It's very scenic (if you like above treeline landscapes) with decent campsites. Trail camp is hot and crowded, and likely a letdown at the end of your trip. By camping at Guitar you can start hiking before dawn. The views of the sun rising and the light hitting the mountains as you hike up Whitney are magical.
AvFan
Topix Novice

Post by AvFan »

I did the HST the last two years and the itinerary below is my suggestion but there are lots of options.

Day 1 Merhten (if leaving the TH in the afternoon) or Buck Creek (if leaving early morning)
Day 2 Hamilton
Day 3 Just east of crest of the climb out of Big Arroyo or push on to Moraine Lake
Day 4 Kern Hot Springs (a soak or two makes it worth camping here!)
Day 5 Junction Meadow (leisurely day and sets up an early am climb up Wallace Creek)
Day 6 Guitar Lake or the tarns above it
Day 7 Whitney and exit at Whitney Portal (big day but leave early and cheeseburgers will motivate you)

I'd avoid Bearpaw; pretty nasty IMHO. I highly recommend climbing out of Hamilton Lake early in the morning to avoid the heat during the 2500' climb to Kaweah Gap. I expect Big Arroyo Junction will have a lot of skeeters so if you want to keep going you can camp after climbing up out of Big Arroyo. There is a stream 1/4 to 1/2 mile after starting the decent on the Chagoopa Plateau towards Moraine Lake that I camped at last year. The last day is about 16 miles but I didn't like the camping options on the east side of Whitney. Lastly, if you add a day to this itinerary I'd stay at Moraine Lake; its beautiful and good for swimming.

Enjoy your trip!!
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

Thanks Everybody; Just Got Back Yesterday.

Took the following itinerary; it was great!

Day 1 - Buck Creek
Day 2 - Hamilton Lake
Day 3 - Moraine Lake
Day 4 - Kern Hot Springs
Day 5 - Wallace Creek Junction
Day 6 - Guitar Lake
Day 7 - Outpost

Will Be Posting A Trip Report Soon