The Lake N. Side of Harrison Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: The Lake N. Side of Harrison Pass

Post by SSSdave »

Geez you folks ought to use the acme mapper site when talking about topo stuff.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.70593,-118.42021&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The no-name lake in Hyde's pic is lake 3360+. Another photographer and I camped there three days mid 90s. It actually has an unofficial name that I won't divulge herein publicly.

The ones MT is referring to are the three lakes 3480+, 3480+, and 3540+. That area is a big barren talus pit, sort of like the talus jumble with lakes on the north side of Glen Pass. Not too interesting to this person.

David
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Dave wrote:
The ones MT is referring to are the three lakes 3480+, 3480+, and 3540+. That
area is a big barren talus pit, sort of like the talus jumble with lakes on the
north side of Glen Pass. Not too interesting to this person.
Dave, she was asking about those lakes because she was thinking the lake which is
in Hyde's photo was one of the lakes under Harrison Pass as the photo's title alluded too
but really should have titled "Lake under Lucy's Foot Pass".
Kpeter wrote:
Are you referring to the unnamed lake between Ericsson Crags and Lake Reflection, with a morraine and Lucy Foot Pass to the SSE?
Yes, that is the one Kpeter.

Here is a Google Earth snapshot taken from above the lake, notice how the peaks in
the background line up with the ones in Hyde's Photo:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Well...I feel a little embarrassed....Since Mr. Hyde states that on the photo in my book and also on his website under that image..that the lake being under Harrison Pass and looking for that lake on my map which I found I figured that was the lake....The more I thought about it and looked at that one picture you posted Maverick over again..showing those two lakes and how barren the landscape is and knowing that next lake would be the same barren landscape..than going back and looking at the right lake and seeing that the lake has trees and vegatation around some of it..makes sense now... the lake Hyde took the picture of is where you say it is..and I see it on my map and the shape of it looks like the picture...below Lucy's Foot Pass and West of the Ericsson Crags.
I appreciate everyone's comment and pointing out to me I had the wrong lake :confused:
Does make me wonder about the title of Mr. Hyde's image...
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

madeintahoe wrote:Well...I feel a little embarrassed....I appreciate everyone's comment and pointing out to me I had the wrong lake :confused:
Does make me wonder about the title of Mr. Hyde's image...
No need to feel embarrassed in the least. Part of what these experts around here do is to help us make sense out of partial information, half forgotten memories, a camera shot from an unknown position...etc. It sometimes seems like a detective game, and I'm always amazed at how good at it so many of you are. As for me, I enjoyed this little thread since it provided me with an incentive to go back to Reflection and see the lake I bypassed.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Some pines some talus at the small shallow lake 3360+ on August 2, 1993.
obxcola
Topix Novice

Post by obxcola »

Maverick thanks for posting a link to those amazing photos by Philip Hyde.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

i've been to those lakes on my varios treks over harrison (both directions) since the late 70's.

the lake in question is mapped at 3260+ and it's a nice lake to stay at.
what i remember most about this lake is how the ericson crags st seem to tower up and dominate the skyline. just north of this lake, there are some very small tarns where the crags really take on their form.

anyway, the upper two lakes of three lakes (lake 3 being the highest) are pretty mch part of a talus field. the lowest of these three lakes begins to show green plant material. the route up to the pass cuts between the 2'cd and 3'rd lakes.

haha- dave, i know the name of that lake. it's in "sierra south" or at least the older "mini" editions by winett.
of course, it's an unofficial name... like lake 3340 that is 3 miles west of table mountain in the upper kern basin which i have given the name, "casper" lake because it is shaped like casper, the fiendly ghost... and before that, i called it "three bay" lake because of it's three bays.

btw, hydes photograph is taken along the route to/from lucy's foot pass.
Last edited by lostcoyote on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

just got back from a trip into this area....
here are a few shots from this lake:

ericson crags soar high above this lake (whose unofficial name we do not speak)...

looking northeast across the lake from our campsite...

and here is the north side of lucy's foot pass...
(stay on the east side above the shadow and trees as seen in the picture)